8.10.18

TC 10K and TC 5K Race Report

10K Start time: 7:15am for the 10K, this is the same time as last year.
    
Weather: Low-mid 40s and windy.  I was fine running, but under dressed for the start line.
   
Wardrobe: Illuminite shirt, arm sleeves, Happy pants, compression socks, Merrel shoes; hat.  I looked like a highlighter but I was hard to miss.
  
Transportation: 5:40am bus to Green Line.  Dungeon Master took me home in exchange for a hot, home cooked breakfast.  There was a long time between the bus and the train so I practiced my selfie game.
Route: 10K route has been the same every time I've run it.
Plan/Goals: My goal was A) run under 11:20s and B) not do anything stupid.
Execution: Part A: done.  Part B: It doesn't feel stupid at the moment, but I also don't believe it. 
Nutrition: Pre-race was 3/4 of an avocado, salted.  Post race was a banana and some water.
Results: I haven't looked at the results yet.  I'll tell you after tomorrow's race.
Update: I'm happy with this.  
From today, I learned: Things that went well were staying relaxed on the hill, telling myself I am strong enough for hills, and keeping my cadence high.  I got a little aggravated at the start, there was a big bottle neck just after and it was kind of a cluster.
SWAG: 10K has a medal and a gray shirt.
Remember for next time: I spent a lot of time thinking about the camber on Summit Ave.  Follow the line dividing the bike lane from traffic.
The Corporate Team Challenge tent is heated, but there is no place to change this year.
Take the bus to Park Ave and walk to the US Bank Stadium stop.  (For some reason I legit could not remember this from last year.)
Bonus: LOL.  Let me just get back in line to run another race.

5K Start time: 8:45am for the 5K.  This start time has changed over the years.  The first time I did Loony, it was 90 minutes between races (which is tight but doable), then it went to 2hrs, then 1:45, now we're back down to 90 minutes between races.     

Weather: Somehow windier and colder than before the first race.  40s and windy.
Route: The 5K route is back to the original 5K route and I am aggravated and bummed.  The 5K route is an out and back, mostly along Summit Ave.  It is waaaay too packed to have two way runners there, especially with all the kids in the back of that race.  Race organizers should either let us go back to the 2017 route, or have a staggered/corral style start.
Plan/Goals: After the 10K, I adjusted.  My first goal was not to get ticked off and knock anyone over in the first mile of the race from it being too crowded.  After that, run mostly by feel and have fun.  Try to run under 11:20s and most importantly don't do anything stupid.
Execution: It turned out probably to be a good thing that the first mile was the slowest of any I'd run so far, because I kept some in the tank for later.  I had a great time.  I think about 20 people past me in the last 0.1 miles because I was finishing at the pace I'd been running the whole time, not a 'I don't have to run anymore ever after these 100 feet' sprint. It's fine.  I still feel like I did what I wanted there.
Nutrition: 5am: Avocado; after 10K: Banana and water; after 5K: hard boiled eggs wrapped in prosciutto.  (Because post race nutrition is super important if I have to do this again tomorrow)
Results: I won't look until after the 10Miler tomorrow.
Update: I think things went well. 
From today, I learned: Be patient in the first mile of a crowded race.  Things will sort themselves out and there will be plenty of room.
SWAG: Well, I got the exact same medal they gave out for the 10K, so now I have two of those.  WTF?!? At least the shirt is different.  This one is navy.
Remember for next time: That first mile is slow.  Be patient.
Caribou Coffee is no longer a sponsor, so there's not a ton of post-race coffee options.  Though the Challenge tent did have coffee for its participants.

Bonus: Dungeon Master gave me a ride home.  I cooked her breakfast.  Or, in my case, Second Breakfast.  Congrats to Dungeon Master on completing the 5K race series!

No comments:

Post a Comment