16.4.20

COVID Diarires - April 16

Today is the day I pressed Dad into computer technical service for the Minnesota health care system y'all.  He totally rose to the challenge.  By "rose to the challenge" I mean he did not use bad words or get mad at me/the computer/etc.

What actually happened: My company is rolling out a platform for "virtual visits".  (Think Skype or Facetime, or Zoom, but health care compliant.)  So I called Dad and said "I do not care if this works. I need you to try it and I need to know what happens." And then I did parts of how the virtual visit would go (sending an invitation, trying to log on, getting the platform on his computer). 
Dad had trouble downloading the app because his internet sucks.
Dad then had trouble installing the app because that's just not a thing he's ever known how to do?
I wound up using Jitsi with him, so he could share his screen with me.  We got the app installed and opened.  And then he was able to use the meeting invite to see me and have "virtual visit".  This was me saying "thank you so much for doing this" and not an actual health care assessment (for anyone who was worried about poor boundaries).

Tomorrow: Dad is going to try to put the app on his phone and have a virtual visit with me that way.  You cannot understand how much I'm looking forward to this.
Also tomorrow: If my timing works, I'm going to have Dungeon Master attempt to install this on her phone (because she has an android and will continue speaking to me if it doesn't work) and also have a pretend virtual visit with me. 

After me telling Dad "I need a 5 minute phone call to explain, and the other thing should take 10 minutes, 15 tops' (it was like an hour) Mom tells me this story:
(Background: Mom works in an academic setting and was asked to do a short video message to her seniors who basically don't get a graduation ceremony.)
"I drug Daddy upstairs..." So, they used her iPad to shoot this video, and she had her "social work poem" (I swear, I need a copy) taped to a broom stick so her gaze was at the right direction for the video.  She needed a few takes, just because of fumbling the words in the poem, etc.
Well, Mom can't actually send the video from her iPad because it's too big for Gmail. (She doesn't know how to upload it to YouTube, leave my mom alone.)
So, Mom starts problem solving on her computer (Mac Desktop).
Y'all.  Mom found Photobooth and recorded a video there.  On her own.  I am so proud.
Mom also reports she had to clean off the other desk in the background for this video.  (She was able to have a different angle/background with the iPad.)
Ok; but the Photobooth video is apparently still too big for Gmail to deal with. 
So, Mom edits her poem to make it shorter.  I need both versions now, right?  And then re-shoots it on Photobooth.  Which she learned to use on her own!  And that one was small enough to email.  I am so proud.

Other funny story for the day.  (Background: Generally when I say bye to Mom or Dad I say "love you".) I told a colleague about getting Dad on this virtual visit.  Then colleague and I needed to step off the call.  I almost told colleague I loved her because I'd been thinking of Dad.  Then I told my whole social work team about the virtual visit with Dad.  And almost told them how much I loved them as well.  Sigh.  Luckily these people are awesome and laughed instead of feeling uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment