28.4.20

COVID Diaries - random shortages

One of the other "things we'll remember" about this time is all of these random shortages on... all of the things.

For health care, there's lots of concern about gloves, gowns, and masks.  Particularly procedure masks and N95 masks.

There's also "shortages" or ventilators that are less talked about.  The people addressing this shortage in particular, just shows how many real life MacGyvers there are in life.

Thermometers are in short supply. That's been going on for a minute.

Oximeters are now on back order until July.  (The thing that goes on your finger and tells your pulse and blood oxygen saturation.  Kind of important for a respiratory virus, right?)

Toilet paper was probably the most talked about.  With hand sanitizer and wipes coming in a close second, followed by bleach.

But there's all these other random things that people want.  For me personally, I can't find hand weights/dumbbells/kettle bells etc. They're all gone.

In addition to nursing homes, COVID has been rampant at food processing plants, so there may be shortages in pork, chicken, and beef.  No one has really talked about milk/yogurt/cheese.  I guess those places are still okay?

When I first went to the store, after the shit hit the fan, I noticed runs on the soup aisle as well as the pasta aisle.  That seems to have been short lived.

Another random item missing: elastic.  People are making masks like crazy.  Having sorted thousands of donated masks myself, I say "keep them coming".  What a boost!  But, so many people are making masks there's no elastic anymore.  Can you imagine?  JoAnns is out of elastic!

There is a straight up Toilet Paper Tracker for Costco.  There was only one day I went to Costco that I couldn't get eggs.  It was right after Easter. I haven't had an issue with fizzy water.  I also get my Dr Bronners at Costco, and that's always been in stock (so far).  I want Dr B's to stay in business, but be just obscure enough they don't wind up selling out in stores like Lysol and Bleach.

No comments:

Post a Comment