8.4.19

Long Run Around the Lakes: My Feet Are So Wet!

Plan: Run 18 miles.  Don't look at the watch.  Take a salt tab every 5 miles. 
Actual Mileage: 18.77 miles.  How happy am I that I didn't check the mileage too much before hand?
Route: I went down to the creek, then up one side of Harriet, Bde Maka Ska, and Lake of the Isles, before heading back down the other side of said lakes, and then on the way back I took Lyndale up to 50th so I could run up and down the big hill there, before heading back along the creek and then back home.
Weather: This was one of those "weather channel says it's not going to rain" days.  For similar days see walking with the Dungeon Master and snow running.
It was 48* and raining when I left.  It was supposed to stop raining not long into this run.  What actually happened was it rained almost the entire run, and the winds out of the south were noticeable in the back half of the run.
There were lots of puddles, particularly at Isles and the path was flooded at one place along the creek (bike path flooded, human path kind of also flooded but sort of passable).  So, my feet got soaked.  As did the rest of me.
Wardrobe:  I wore a newer pair of shoes, Merrells that are the same model as an older pair I've worn and loved.  I wore shorts, a tech shirt, nathan race vest, wool socks, and a hat.  Not sure if the wool socks or the hat were more crucial today.  Both seemed pretty important for running in the rain.
Execution: So, here's an important thought process to know about: I'd been reading old blog posts about marathon training, and the speed at which I trained vs the speed I'd finish the marathon was much closer.  Today I was all "maybe I can push a bit?" So, I was faster than some of my previous long runs, but not super fast.  What is my race pace supposed to be?
Nutrition: I started with 3/4 of salted avocado before heading out.
During the run I took a chew every few miles, and I had a salt tab every five miles.  I also had one flask filled with water and one filled with half juice and half water.  So, there's some new stuff going on with nutrition.  I feel much better than I did last week.  Not sure how much of that was my brain calming down, and how much was actually getting the right electrolytes.  I'll take it, either way.
From today, I learned: I'm glad I pushed a bit harder on this run. I learned to stop listening to my head and start listening to my body a little bit. I also reached out to my coach, saying 'we've got to talk about a a run/walk plan for race day' becuase I know how I'm feeling after 18, and I know I want to start this race slow.
Bonus: I think I pulled something trying to take off my wet sports bra. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment