11.2.19

Sunday Long Run: Snow Day

Plan: Go 12 miles.  It can be any combination of inside and outside running that is safe and makes sense.  At least the end of the run will be inside because 'cool down' will turn into 'freeze my butt off' too quickly otherwise.
Actual Mileage: 10.33 miles outside, 2 miles inside for a total of 12.33 miles.
Route:
Outside: Out and back on the Greenway, basically all the way to St Louis Park and back.  My fear is that if I cross the rail road tracks, a train will come and I'll literally be caught 'on the wrong side of the tracks' so I always stop there.
Inside: 2 miles on the track, after the outside bit.  1 mile running and 1 mile cooling down.
Weather: Let's call it a "don't worry, weather channel says it won't rain" kind of day.
Weather Channel said there'd be flurries tapering off shortly after I started, and then the real snow wouldn't start 'till after 10am.  Actually, the flurries never stopped, and turned into real snow around mile 7 of this run.  At least it was warmer than yesterday.  It was 10* when I started and a bit warmer for the finish.
Wardrobe:
Pants: Running tights; Nike winter running pants
Top: Wool base layer, Running Sweat Shirt, Blue Jacket
Feet: Wool compression socks; silver socks, Altra shoes
Other: Hat and gloves were on the whole time, buff went on around mile 7, Running vest
Execution:
Outside run: 
Warm up: I totally bit it on a patch of ice before I'd even started to run.  Internally I decided if there were any more issues, I had to go back inside immediately no matter where I was.
Run: I did't look at my watch because it was buried under 85 layers of clothes. I started going pretty hard by the end because I really wanted to be done.  The footing started out not so great, the snow made it better, then by the last mile the snow was a little too much.
This run ended with me grabbing my gear and heading in doors. 
Inside run:
Run: I ran about a mile on the indoor track
Cool down: I did a run/walk of 0.5 miles and then a walk of 0.5 miles to 'cool down'
There was an indoor triathlon happening on the 'downstairs track' so that was entertaining to watch.
Nutrition: I had pumpkin seeds before I left.  Turns out this run was fasted because my water bottle froze quite quickly and the Larabar followed suit not long after.
From today, I learned: If you'd described the conditions of this run to me before hand, I would've been up all night worrying about it.  But while it was happening it really wasn't so bad, much like this very rainy run.
Bonus: I am going to enter a contest for the best ice eyebrows, mustache, and hair.  Do you think I have a chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment