23.2.19

Long Run: I have fallen in love with this trail

Plan: Run out and backs north, west, south, and east from the starting point.  Get to 12 miles.  (I needed to go in 'spokes' so I was never too far from my car, just in case, for logistical reasons.)
Actual Mileage: 12.05 miles
Route:
Park at Coon Rapids Dam, Hennepin Co side.
Run north along the river: this didn't last long.  The plow threw a lot of snow from the road onto the trail and it wasn't great.  Headed 'back'
Run west along Rush Creek Trail: Y'all, I am in love with this trail.  It's been a pleasure all winter.  The trail has really been in good shape every day I've come here except one day I arrived and they were actively "maintaining" the trail.  (Then run 'back' to the park entrance.)
Run south from the park entrance: this trail looked really bad, but it kept getting better, and then it'd have a moment of bad but would get better again.  Coming 'back' the bad part was up a little hill so that was kind of brutal.  (Then run 'back' to the park entrance.)
Run east, across the dam and into Anoka Co.  This trail was frustratingly maintained and completely NOT maintained.  It did much better once I got to the road on this side of the river.  And then run 'back' to my car.
Weather: 25-30*, very little wind.  Sometimes sun and sometimes clouds.  It's supposed to snow/ice/rain all weekend and this was going to be a super great day for running so I jumped on it.
Wardrobe:
Top: Wool base layer; purple sweat shirt
Bottom: Grey pants
Feet: Wool compression socks, sock liners (which were a surprisingly good idea given the snow); Altra shoes
Other: I had a hat, gloves, and gaiter but didn't use them.  I wore my running vest and had some water bottles in it as well
Execution: I started running out a little harder than I meant to, but I just kept going because it felt good.  Things got harder/slower towards the end of the run.  But also, the paths were crap towards the end of the run.  So, it's all good.
Nutrition: This was a lunch time run so it was not fasted.  I had coffee, eggs, and a bar for breakfast.  I ran with water and a Larabar.  I had just a bit of the bar while I was running.  Bonus for this run that my water bottles did not freeze.
From today, I learned: I should've run longer on Rush Creek because it was in the best condition.  Though the conditions were starting to get not as good about where I turned, so maybe I did fine?
I am looking forward to the north/south trails in the summer.  Or really in any time that's not covered in snow.  Those things looked great too!
Bonus: I told my coach that if she'd told me when we started, "in February, you'll be all 'hang on, I'm just going to bust out a long run but it's only 12 miles, it's okay'" I would've laughed at her.  And yet, I'm all "hold my beer, I'm gonna run 12 miles now".

No comments:

Post a Comment