26.2.19

Quality Miles Monday: Tempo

Plan: Warm up; 5:00 tempo, 2:00 rest - repeat 5 times; cool down
Actual Mileage: 5.5 miles
Route: Indoor tack at the gym
Execution:
Warm up: walking and then running for a total of 9 laps; had my first watch SNAFU here
Tempo section: it's hard to pace on the track.  1/2 lap in 50 seconds or 1/4 lap in 25 seconds is a 10:00/mile; 1/2 lap in 1:00 or 1/4 lap in 30 seconds is a 12:00/mile.  Anything else, the math is too hard.  So once a lap or so, I'd check to see if I was running around a 10:00/mile pace, which I was.  I never got to three full laps in 5:00, but I was always pretty close, which says I was running at about the right pace.  All the rest of my watch SNAFUs happened here.
Cool down: I ran for a few laps once I was done with the work, and then walked a few to bring my heart rate down.
Nutrition: 1/2 a salted avocado before the run
From today, I learned: I was surprised I enjoyed the tempo work on the track, despite the limited information I had about my pace.  As always, it felt good to really just run, which is not a thing happening outside a ton right now becuase of the weather.  Wowsers!
I think if I did this on the track again, I'd change it to 3 laps tempo and 1 lap easy because that's just easier to count/measure on the track.
Bonus: I moved Monday weights to some other day and did Friday weights today.  My knee is still a little WTF about life, but it's not hurting while I'm lifting so I'm going forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment