4.2.19

Sunday Long Run

Plan: 11 Miles, effort should range from easy to 'don't look at the watch and try to back off'
Actual Mileage:  11.04 miles
Route: Here's where the issues began.
Planned: I thought I'd go from my house, to the creek, around Lake Harriet and back.  Actual: Two stops on the sidewalk I found all the ice, turned around and went inside.
Actual: Parked near the bridge and headed over into St Paul to run along the river.  In theory St Paul keeps their trails in better condition than Minneapolis.  On the drive over, I saw the Mpls side of the river and it looked clear in some places and like sheets of ice in others.  Trails everywhere suck. This route was probably a better choice for the hills.
Weather: Low 30s, Humidity, and all of the fog.  The fog was the most impressive part of this run for sure.
Wardrobe:
Shoes: Altra Superior, and even those were a little slippery.
Socks: Non-wool compression socks.  (And it's the time of year where I get to make that distinction)
Pants: Illuminite tights, these things were GREAT!
Top: Running shirt and sweat shirt
Other: Buff on my head, and my running vest.  (When I got that running vest, I was so disappointed, it wasn't at all what I thought it would be.  I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I'm loving it!)
Execution:
The footing on this run was lousy.  There wasn't really a ton of ice, but a lot of 'is that ice or water?'  There was also a lot of slush in some places, and that is what really sapped the energy.  Might as well have been quick sand.  I ran over into St Paul and went north.  (I should've gone south, the footing would've been way better.)  At Franklin Ave I turned around, went south past the bridge a bit to make the mileage even out, and then came back into Minneapolis.
Nutrition: 12oz water bottle.  I didn't drink it all during the run, but it was empty by the time I'd cooled down.  Larabar - I am making more of an effort to eat on the run.  (Like, I'm not hungry but I have a feeling it will make a difference at mile 23.)  I had a bite at mile 4 and again at mile 8.  During the cooldown, I ate the rest of it.
From today, I learned: Patience in slush I think.
Bonus: Can I tell you again how much I love my pants?

No comments:

Post a Comment