22.4.19

Saturday Long Run: Taper Time

Plan: Run 12 miles easy.  Test the wardrobe including shoes, socks, and vest to make sure all are comfortable.
Actual Mileage: 12.13 miles.
Route: Same as this day.  Starting at Lock and Dam, north along the river to Number 9 bridge, then south along the other side of the river to Ford Parkway.
Weather: OMG.  Finally.  Started in the high 40s and ended near 60. 
Wardrobe: Yesterday, I run in a pair of black spandex shorts.  In the sun.  And I was all "these are really hot in the sun"  So I realized I probably needed a not black pair of shorts for race day.  Today was all about dress rehearsal, testing the wardrobe, etc.
Top: InkNBurn Singlet
Bottoms: Grey Nike running shorts.  This is a pair of guys shorts with a good inseam and decent pockets.  If it's good enough for Courtney Dauwalter, it's good enough for me.
Shoes: I work the Brooks Launch.  I love the shoe, but I think it may be Altras on race day for me.  These will probably make the trip though  I wore smart wool running socks with them.
Other: I had a visor on, and my Nathan running vest.  I wore arm sleeves for about the first half of the run.
Results: No chaffing from the shorts, singlet, or vest.  No issues with the shoes and socks, but I think the shoes are just a touch too narrow for race day. 
Execution: I felt like garbage on this run.  I woke up with a raging headache.  One of those "let's see if I can outrun this headache" kinds of things.  I knew it was going to be better to move than to sit still for this one.
Nutrition: This probably didn't help the 'I feel like garbage' feelings.  I had 1/4 of an avocado before I left.  I carried one thing of water and one of water/juice.  I had sips every couple of miles, and I had chews around miles 3, 6, and 9, and salt tabs at miles 5 and 10.
From today, I learned: Heat management and hydration management will be important factors on race day. Because I've trained in blizzards and polar vortexes, my body is all confused by the 50 degree temps and thinks it's too hot. Runner problems much? So, I'll have to keep an eye on that for race day.  One thing I don't want to do is drink too much water early on in the course because I'll feel like garbage towards the end. I remember the pain well.  I can take water and dump it on myself whenever I want; I just have to be careful about not drinking too much and upsetting my stomach.
Bonus: Thank you to all of the Earth Day volunteers who were out helping our parks stay clean and beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment