8.6.20

COVID Diaries - May 29 and 30

Doing two days at once here, again.

Friday around 5am, I woke up to hear my city was on fire, and some buildings were expected to explode due to gas leaks.  So I started putting clothes in my suitcase.  I left around 6am.  Driving out of town, I say a lot of "this used to be on fire and is still smoking" in Minneapolis (Broadway, Cedar Ave) and St Paul (Midway).  I was a disaster as I was leaving town, but I got better and better as the day went on.  I got to Mom and Dad's towards the end of the day, and that really lifted me right up.  I went for my run, had supper, and went to sleep.

Saturday, I woke up around 2am to see that a whole different police station was on fire, the National Guard couldn't stop it, and, just, everything was on fire.  Still.

Saturday I woke up for reals and headed out for a run, which really lifted me up.  I've spent the day with Mom and Dad.  Mom has commanded that we must eat all the food in the fridge, so I cooked Chili Verde with some of the stuff I brought home.  It's sitting in the crock pot, and will make an excellent meal for tomorrow or the next couple of days.

As Saturday went on, more and more news was coming in.  80% of the arrests for violence and property destruction are from people who don't live in Minnesota.  And suddenly, it all makes sense.  In Minneapolis, we protest, we block roads, we sit on light rail tracks.  But there is not violence and there is not property damage.  Now I'm hearing that most of the violence is coming from white supremacists (typical), so some of my friends are heading out to stay in safer areas.  I feel like a refugee.

In other amazing news today, a rocket with humans launched into space from Texas.  So that's super cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment