15.10.17

Avondale 5K

Start time: 8:30am, perfect for me.
Weather: Around 50*, no wind, sunny
Wardrobe: Happy pants, tank, compression socks, now retired NB Minimus Trail shoes
Transportation: Dad carpooled us all to the start, parked at Avondale Town Center

Route:
  • Runs through South Avondale and a short stretch of North Avondale (where I grew up).  Full course can be seen here.
  • The hills on this course are for reals.  Especially that beast at the end.  That's where I kissed my 'sub 30' dream goodbye. 
  • This course is partially open to traffic.  It's closed where the runners are but open for cars to cross the course in some places.  
  • There were a lot of police on the course to direct traffic and they were very supportive of the runners.

Plan/Goals: Race the thing! (Back up plan was 'run with your heart and don't get discouraged on the hills')

Execution: I put it down on this course. I was pleased with the whole thing.  This is easily a PR for me and the most fun I've had on a 5K course.
Nutrition: I'd planned to have half an avocado about two hours before the race.  Instead, when I woke up I was still full from the bad decisions I'd made the night before so I raced on an empty stomach.  It was the right decision.
Results:  31:23 or a 10:07 mile pace.  See, picked it up and put it down!

SWAG: For such a small race, there are some very big sponsors (Cincinnati Zoo, Children's Hospital, University of Cincinnati) and the goodies are on point.  I got a cotton t-shirt, which was an awesome surprise.  Re-usable shopping bag.  Hippo rug (which is freaking adorable and waiting for me every time I go home now), little flash light, beer can huggie, and some coupons.  The post-race party had some additional stuff from a sponsor so I wound up with another shirt from there.
Remember for next time:
  • I mean, is there a way to forget about that hill? 
  • This race is seriously welcoming to walkers and family.  
  • I was the only 'non-local' there.  It's okay because I consider this my hometown race. 
  • I had planned to listen to music but wound up taking out both ear buds early on because the course is partially open to traffic and I wanted to be able to hear the volunteers and police.
  • Apparently I can run a solid 5K on an empty stomach.
Bonus: This race was very well organized.  It did a great job of highlighting the neighborhood.

Second bonus: 5K for my 5 year streak running anniversary! Mom, Dad, and two other people came out to help me celebrate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment