19.3.23

Florida 2023 - February 6

Run: I woke up and ran around the island of Key West.  I did an out and back on a road with a sidewalk that runs along the shore.  I watched the sun come up.  It was amazing.  It was also stupid humid so I did this as a run walk. 

I was on my own for site seeing in the morning.  So I hit all the nature places. 


Key West Butterflies: This exhibit was magical, and I say that having experienced the Krohn butterflies several times. One of the things that helped is I got there super early in the day (before 10am) so it was not at all crowded.  The place was really filling up by the time I left.


West Martello Tower and Key West Garden Club: this is an outdoor garden that's built into what used to be a fort.  Parking is free.  Admission is free, but donations are requested. This was also a special place.  If Mom had come with me, she really would've enjoyed it. 

Bahia Honda State Park: Was hard on my bucket list and one of the things I was super excited for (along with eating seafood out of a shack). I love that beach.  And the water.  The water is really shallow and has a lot of sea grass and other non-stingy, non-scary things to see.  I swam, I walked along the shore and looked for shells, and then I napped a minute. 

One last shack: We hit the Cracked Conch on Marathon Key.  Totally worth a stop.  I think Dungeon Master was done with my seafood shack needs by then, but this place had a lot of other really nice food so all was well.

And then we drive: I finally just gave up worrying what anyone things and listened to my weird podcasts on this drive home.  In Defense of Plants told me about orchid bees, which are a thing.  No Stupid Questions told me about working on an airplane.  And I think that's all I heard before Dungeon Master got on a conference call.  

We got in before 10pm local time and headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment