19.3.23

Florida 2023 - February 13

 I woke up late today.  Because it's Monday and I can.


First place I hit was a running stop.  I did the trifecta of Cullums Trail Park, Bonita Nature Place, and Pine Lake Preserve.  I knew Pine Lake had the longest trail system.  Sadly, it was also the least runner friendly.  You know the sloppy sand at the top of the beach?  Yeah, lots of that. 

I wasn't in the Nature Place very long, due to poor navigation?  Or it just wasn't that big. But the time I got to Cullums, I was done with the run and walked back to my car.


Second adventure of the day was the CREW Rookery outside Naples.  That was such a pleasant surprise.  The greatest bird watching is actually in the parking lot.  Like, I want to go back with a chair and binoculars. 

I walked about a mile in.  This trail was the most runner friendly, but I wouldn't run it.  Too many humans with telephoto cameras, it just doesn't have that exercise vibe. 


I saw lots of wild life.  Including, yes, gators.  They were all in the water and not interested in me.  To my surprise I did not see any snakes.  In either place.  And that was really fine with me. 


On my way out I got a call from the neighbor/care taker. 

Next up, I headed over to Barefoot Beach Preserve because I was getting very mixed signals about its status.  Actual status: closed.  I didn't even turn off the main road.  Instead, I googled "seafood shack"...

I wound up at a place called Dougs seafood.  The sign for the restaurant literally says "fried seafood".  My kind of place.  I had whole belly clams.  I liked them slightly better than the strips.  But it was 2pm and I'd barely eaten, so my car bumper may have tasted good too at that point. 

And to end the day, I got home and found the mail box damage.  That's what the call from the neighbor was about.  The recycling guy got the mailbox along with the rest of our recycling cart somehow?  Apparently they'll replace it.  I called my aunt and my cousin in shame.  "Did I set the recycling too close to the mail box?  Did I do something wrong?"  I was reassured there's no way this could've been my fault, which I really appreciated hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment