29.12.18

Hanging With the Family: Christmas Edition

Wednesday
Running: 1 Mile, in the morning
Travel: I couldn't even manage the bus schedule so I took a Lyft to the airport.  I had a remarkably smooth flight, including logistics.
Cincinnati: Mom and I hit up Skyline.  Then we visited Uncle Spaghetti who was in the hospital, and then Grandma.  For supper we had Indian food.  I found out all kinds of health information about Dad at supper, and that was kind of alarming.

Thursday
Running: 3 miles, through Ault Park.
Surprise: Mom's hair dryer literally blew up in my hands today.  That was a new thing. 
Visiting: This time Dad and I saw Grandma first, then Uncle Spaghetti (who was finally getting sprung from the hospital after our visit).
Shopping: In the afternoon, Mom and I had a shopping trip where both all and none of the decisions were made.
Evening: We picked up a friend of the family and had Taste of Belgium for supper, then a show at Ensemble Theater.  Supper - the food was trying to be good but wasn't quite there.  The show was Alice in Wonderland which is, literally, not my cup of tea.

Friday
Running: 2 miles, in the morning, in the dark
Visit 1: Saw a long time friend.  Our visits are almost always at breakfast becuase of everyone's schedules.
Visit 2: Headed up to Dayton to see the Texas cousins.  Always a good time to mess with Texas.
Visit 3: Headed down to KY to see Uncle Spaghetti, the NewYork Cousins, the Kentucky people, and play 'find the Lizard'

Saturday
Running: 3 miles in Ault Park in the morning
Visit 1: I got coffee and saw Grandma on my own.  She stayed in bed but we read Christmas cards and had a nice time.
Visit 2: I'd originally planned to see some people from KY in the afternoon but those plans were scrapped.  So I went back over to see Grandma with Mom and Dad.
Sight seeing: After hanging with Grandma, we went to the Krohn to see the flowers.  And apparently the elife selfie things too.  Dad wasn't impressed.
Visit 3: Saw friends of mine from long long ago.  Friend, husband, and their 3 kids met us at Skyline.  Because, where else do you go with 3 kids, right?
Sight seeing 2: We hit up the lights at Sharon Woods.  Mom and I thought they were adorable.  Dad was captain grumpy pants. 
After that, Mom and I hung out and wrapped presents.

Sunday
Running: I had permission to run.  What time do I need to be back?  What time do I need to be ready to help?  So I set out and ran almost 8 miles.  I don't know my coach well enough to know if she'll care that it was only 7.87 miles.  On this end I'm all "how healthy that I didn't walk in circles to make it exactly 8.0".
Visit 1: We had the family Christmas party at the place where Grandma lives.  I had a blast.  Bonus is that I got to talk to Marathon Cousin (that's her blog name now, because it was her running a marathon that made me think I'd eventually do it myself) and that chat was extremely helpful.
Visit 2: Mom and Dad's neighbor had a small get together at her house.  I was aloud to tag along and meet some of the people where Mom and Dad live.  There was bourbon so it was all good.
Bonus: Mom needed a hair dryer, since her old one blew up.  So she opened one of her gifts early.

Monday Christmas Eve
Running: Actually happened in the middle of the day, and it was a hard workout.
Visit 1: I got to see Marge early, for breakfast, which turns out to be my only chance this trip.  I made Mom some crepes for Breakfast.  Marge came over and told us about her holiday and we had a great time.
Visit 2: We hit up my aunt and uncles in Kentucky for Christmas Eve.  Usually they come up here, but some health changes from my Uncle made it better for us to head that way.  We had a Venezuelan feast.

Tuesday Merry Christmas
Running: I had special dispensation to run this morning. I did an easy run through Ault Park.  There was no one else out.  Remember this tomorrow.
Visit 1: Mom Cousin, Super Mom and Super Baby came over.  We had breakfast solely dictated on the baby loved this food the last time she was here.  It was the Betty Crocker Squash/Apple dish that was a hit. We had a great visit with the baby, including some super sweet moments with Mom and the baby.
Visit 2: Grandma.  And her guest Andrew.  Grandma was having a rough afternoon.  2:30pm seems to be the witching hour.  And then we met Andrew who is a 9th grader at Summit Country Day, wants to go into business, and already has his own LLC relating to intellectual property and social media.  And he knows that Grandma's baby doll is 'Sweetie' and Grandma feels better when she has a cup of cold water.  Andrew was a great addition to our Christmas.
Visit 3: Find the Lizard.  We headed back down to Kentucky to see everyone and have spaghetti, per our tradition.

Wednesday
Running: I had special dispensation to get in one last run.  Because a storm is coming in Minnesota.
Visit 1: Actually just with Mom and Dad for breakfast.
Visit 2: One last visit with Grandma.  She was having a great day.  It was nice to end on a positive note for once.  We took her to mass, sang In Excelsis Deo, and Mom and I ducked out at the kiss of peace.
Travel: The flight was interesting.  I moved a seat so a mom and her kid could sit next to each other.  I felt like even though I moved back on the plane, I dodged a bullet not having to sit with anyone from that family. 
When I got home, I hit up the grocery store and then 'hunkered down for the storm'

No comments:

Post a Comment