14.6.10

Messing with Texas

I had a blast in Austin, and my first time in Texas. I may go back but it will likely be in the winter. (The lows in Texas were warmer than the high temperatures in Minnesota.)

When I arrived Mom, Dad and Uncle Tom picked me up at the airport. Dad tried to kill us all by taking a U-Turn at 60mph (not realizing it was a u-turn) until I started screaming. (The only time I haven't been scolded for screaming while Dad was driving. Ever.)
Austin is an exciting place to drive because of the expressways, service roads, one ways and 'turn arounds'.

Ultimately Dad let me drive his car for the rest of the trip. I studied the maps (and found the Google Maps app on my iPod completely helpful) before I went anywhere. I didn't get lost at all. The one time Dad rode with another driver, said driver went up an exit ramp the wrong way. A lot of Austin looks like this in my mind. See that little 'U-Turn' sign. It's easy to miss when you're doing 60.



Friday was the bride's lunch and rehearsal dinner. I took pictures at dinner but they didn't turn out well enough to post. I know some family members got some great ones though. I'll get my hands on them sooner or later. This is Aunt Mary (groom's mom) and I at the Bride's lunch.



Saturday we got all dressed up and had a wedding! Here's Mom, Dad and I in our 'nice clothes'. You may recognize this dress from the time I finished grad school, the time my pooky bear married Eric or the time Mark married Irmghard. (This is a good dress pooky bear, thanks for helping me pick it out! You too Amanda.)


My newest cousin Ben (I think he's still the newest but not for long) spent a lot of time entertaining me. As did his big brother Luke.


This is how Mark entertained himself for most of the ceremony. Entertained me too.


Just in case Brian forgets the big moment (Ha, don't think there's much chance of that) I have it on film.


More from the wedding day.



After the wedding we went to the hotel and changed into jeans (read: watched as much as possible of the USA vs England soccer game) before heading to the reception which was a true Texas barbecue at a ranch. It was a really pretty setting. Those pictures are on my dad's camera because I forgot to charge mine.

Sunday we saw Brian and Allison's house. Then Mom, Dad, Aunt Anne and Uncle Dave and I headed to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center where I sweated at least half of my body weight in the 95* Texas sunshine. It was pretty but very hot. The best part was this windmill creaking in the wind. You could hear it from a long way off and just had such a great Texas character and feel.

Sunday night my plane was mildly delayed but I made it home in one piece. Steve (thanks again!) picked me up at the airport and took me home.

The one thing the trip taught me is it's time for a smart phone. I was the only one without GPS/mapping on my phone and we needed it in Austin. Also, with a smart phone I don't have to worry about internet access in the airport. I'm looking now. I think Uncle Dave talked Dad into getting a new toy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment