17.3.20

COVID Diaries - March 17

Bit of a back story here:
It's been a week or two since we've had COVID 19 cases in Minnesota.
Starting late last week, Dad could no longer visit Grandma at her nursing home in Ohio.  I was still seeing patients, including in senior buildings. 
My employer was starting to send daily emails regarding patient safety, staff safety, and the general response to things.  (Ok; glad you have a plan.)
On Friday night I took a walk with Dungeon Master and Captain Smiley. 

And then, over the weekend, all hell broke loose.

Significantly updated information was coming out.  It was specific enough to be scary but vague enough to be completely unhelpful.  At one point I was pretty sure I'd killed two of my friends because of a potential exposure. Ok; glad you're communicating but could I either have a lot more information or a lot less.  Just for a minute?  (There was no exposure.)
Also over the weekend, all the races started to cancel including the 10K I'd planned to run and Flying Pig.

Monday I worked from home on a new project (that's obviously now delayed because they need resoucres for other things at the moment).  All in person meetings are cancelled for the foreseeable future.  (So I guess we will find out how much we can do by Skype and email.)

Which brings us to today:
Safety updates continue and are significantly more useful than what happened over the weekend.  (Glad we learned that lesson quickly.) 
I paid $1.92/gallon for gas. 
There's no traffic.  I mean, there's a few other cars on the road but rush hour is not a thing anymore.
I have enough food and am reading that food shortages are not expected at this time.
I am finally trying to eat what's in my fridge instead of just going to the store for something I like better.
I have enough toilet paper (because I live alone, shop at Costco, and bought some recently)
I have stopped face to face contact with several friends because I am afraid of getting them sick.
I am not sick to my knowledge.  I'm more afraid of being Typhoid Mary here.
I have found a thermometer.  It appears to work. 
Working from home has forced me to straighten up the place.
I am talking to Mom and Dad a lot. 
Mom is freaking out but pleasantly focused (this impacts her job much more than her personal life). 
Dad played golf today and is sad he can't play golf or tennis for the foreseeable future.  (I'm all 'people like you are why they had to lock down the nursing home'.)
In my (significant) spare time, I am learning coding from Apple Playgrounds and learning HTML from a free learn to code webiste.
I am running my mile per day but not much else.
The 1 mile race has not been cancelled yet.  Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment