12.6.19

Mom Creates Reality - an addendum

June 10 - such a wild day I'm giving it it's own post.

6am: Wake up, go for a run.

7:15am: Shower, wash hair, and be alert.  This screws up my day because I was not able to water my plants or weed as My Pooky Bear had advised me to.
8:15or so - Comcast Person arrives.  We'll call him Captain Unhelpful.  Captain Unhelplful said there's not enough up stream or down stream coming into my unit from Comcast.  He's touched all the wires and doesn't know why.  When I asked "what's up stream and down stream" he replied "I can't explain it, I just know what they taught me"  Captain Unhelpful at some point screwed up my neighbors internet.  I could hear her giving him what-for from my bedroom window.  He unhelpfully told her it should be working once her router/modem get all their updates. Pretty sure I owe her a beer.  Shortly thereafter, my internet did start working.  Captain Unhelpful assures me this will end soon.  Captain Unhelpful couldn't explain why the previous owners had cable and internet until the day they moved out with no problems, and seems uninterested in delving into the matter further.  The visit ends with Captain Unhelpful telling me that someone has to dig a new wire to my house.  WTF?!?

11:45 I am now scarred from the first service call of the day.  So when Cameron and Lee show up and are all "no air conditioning huh?" I was skeptical.  $350 and what felt like 10 minutes later, apparently it's all fixed.  They'd cleaned the a/c unit, given it a new... something to make the compressor come on, given it some Freon, and as a bonus Cameron explained all of the HVAC things to me.  He seemed happy for my questions and asked me to call him in the early fall to service the furnace.  Will do!  My scientific brain knows the a/c is working.  My emotional brain is still scarred and skeptical.

12:30 or so.  I called Comcast customer support to ask them to pro-rate my cable and internet services since I'd be without them for a while. I talked to a lady we'll call Shibboleth.  I did not expect to have excellent customer service from Comcast at all today, much less from a call that started with "I don't want to pay this much money".  Shibboleth says "Oh, you're paying too much for your TV services" (no joke Comcast).  Shibboleth also says "I see what the problem is, I think I can fix that from here and they don't need to dig anything... hang on"  And then every few minutes "just to update you, I'm trying this step because I can see X, and I think this is a good way to fix it" She was like Sherlock Holmes meets MacGyver.  She was curious about the problem and wanted to fix it, and also knew how to deal with the system errors she was getting, and how to trick the system into working.  Shibboleth, you are my people.   A little over an hour later, my TV was working and $80/mo cheaper, internet was working and promised not to stop, and no one is coming to dig up my back yard.  I was only  disappointed that I couldn't take a survey about that experience because I would've given her 10/10.

After talking to Shibboleth, I got my 'cord situation' somewhat in order.  It's not 100% addressed, but the issues are at least hidden now.  I then went on to address some filing issues.  I have a lot of paperwork to be shredded at this point.

3:30pm The mattress people show up with Mom and Dad's bed. Also, the $100+ mattress cover that I specifically asked for "bed bug protection" just 'goes on like a fitted sheet'.  WTF!?!  HOM Furniture, that's coming back.  So I'm banking on a 20% of the entire purchase coupon I got from Bed Bath and Beyond for the right thing. Because, trust me, you only have to live through bed bugs once to understand why this shit is worth it.

4:00pm - I try the 'broiler' setting on my new toaster oven.  I am disappointed.  However 'toast' seems to be a hotter temperature than 'broiler' and works like a charm.  Lunches for the week are packed.  I have a double serving of veggies this week. Watch me try and be healthy.

5ish - Captain Smiley comes over.  I cooked a Hello Fresh meal that I got from My Pooky Bear, who I guess forgot to cancel an order?.  I don't think I'd want a lot of Hello Fresh meals, but every once in a while 'here chop this, mix this together, and put it in the oven' is super nice. We had Parmesan Chicken with couscous and a side of roasted carrots.  Then I did the dishes while Captain Smiley talked to me.

Next up, we headed back to the Old Place to pick up a futon that my neighbors had gifted to me.  I laid it out as a bed for staging.  We tried to use the furniture straps but wound up getting it out easily without the assistance.  Also, I remembered to grab Dad's painting which I somehow forgot the MULTIPLE times I was there before.

The second stop was for Captain Smiley to get a hair cut. I shopped at Marhsalls and got a super deal on exercise bands (I use them for stretching), and got some more sock liners for the days I wear my Mary Janes.
Last stop for Captain Smiley and I was on this couch moving excursion my front door.  I confessed that the thing that made me most nervous about this endeavor was the couch legs breaking the glass on both my front doors as we tried to get it inside.  Captain Smiley and I were strategic, and made sure the legs faced the other way.  The couch got in much more easily than I expected.  Relief!
To celebrate, Captain Smiley and I had a refreshing beverage on my patio and chatted for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment