2.1.20

Quality Miles Wednesday - Treadmill 54321 workout

Plan:
Warm up walk: I got to the gym before it opened (on purpose) and did my “warm up” walk outside on Nicolett Mall for about 10 minutes.
Workout:
10 mins of ‘warming up’ running, starting at 4.1mph and building to 4.4mph, somewhere towards the end of this Dungeon Master showed up and was on the treadmill next to me, telling me about her family and Christmas.
5 mins at 5.9mph (which is faster than I’ve ever done this set), 2 mins at 4.4mph
4 mins at 6.0mph, 2 mins at 4.4mph
3 mins at 6.1mph, 2 mins a 4.3mph, Dungeon Master left in the middle of this set to get ready for her class.
2 mins at 6.2mph, 2 mins at 4.3mph
1 mins at 6.4 mph
I ‘cooled down’ from 4.6mph to 4.1mph and had to be off the treadmill in time for my friend’s spin class.
Actual Mileage: My watch, hilariously, says 0.45 miles walking.  So I did 3.55 miles on the treadmill for an even 4.0 miles total.
High Points of the workout: My friend talking to me for the first few sets really took my mind off things.  Time flew by.  I felt like I was working more than normal but enjoying myself.
Struggles of the workout: The last couple sets, I focused on having a fast and even cadence.  There was this guy on a treadmill next to me that had the biggest slowest stride I have ever seen.  We'll call him stomper-clomper.  It was really messing with my rhythm.  (No judgements, it was just loud.) I had to stay inside myself and focus on what I was doing.
From the high points, and from the struggles, I learned: Today showed the difference between good distractions and bad distractions!   Both are good practice for race day.
Next steps: I went into this workout with a most positive attitude than December workouts.  Also more adventurous and curious than December, and that made a big difference.
Bonus: Coach actually texted me to see if the workout was okay, since my last long run was kind of an explosion. That was thoughtful

No comments:

Post a Comment