14.1.20

Quality Miles Monday - A surprise lake run

Plan: Warm up
3 x 1 mile at 10:40 or so, 3:00 break in between each mile
Cool down
Actual Mileage: 4.9 miles with working miles of 10:38, 10:52, and 11:08

Route: Out and back along Lake Nokomis.  I had to start miles 2 and 3 in some pretty specific places to make sure I could get them both in on the 'back' portion of the run.

Weather: 28*.  Winds were 12mph, and the part of the lake closest to Cedar Ave (north and sound ends) is always the coldest.
Wardrobe: True story here.  I'd gone to the dentist in sweats (think athleisure) and brought clothes to run inside at the gym.  But when I drove by Lake Nokomis on the way to the dentist, I was all "it's warm enough, I could run outside.  They plowed the trails." and then I was all "I think I can make this work with the clothes I have".  So I had starter sweatpants, senita shorts (with pockets for my keys because the pants didn't have that), compression socks, blue Asics that I almost never wear running but had good traction, sports bra, long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt, ear band and sometimes gloves.
High Points of the workout: I didn't look at my watch at all during this workout, so I had no idea what my paces were.  I was really pleased when I got home and saw that they were not far off the goal paces my coach laid out.  In wind, cold, and crappy footing, I'll take it. I also see that my heart rate shows a hard effort, so I'm proud of that.What stuck out for me the most was the cadence of the first mile, which turned out to be the fastest of the 3.
Struggles of the workout: Did I mention the footing and the wind coming off the lake? I also had a harder time pushing myself alone than I do when I'm on the track with a lot of other people watching me.
From today I learned: I'm glad I did this one outside.  That surprises me.  I'm glad I focused on effort here versus actual pace. It made it a fun workout for me.  I was able to find a good attitude for this workout, even though this particular one intimidates the heck out of me.
Next steps: I told coach that having endurance to last 'till the end of the workout continues to be a place I can improve.  I was dogging it today by the end.  And then I froze my butt off.
Bonus: I told coach I feel like I can kick my feet up and chill for the rest of the week. The hard workout is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment