23.9.19

Quality Miles Monday: The Three Two workout

Plan: Warm up; 6x 3:00 at race pace, 2:00 easy, cool down
Actual Mileage: 0.75 miles walking warm up; 3.85 miles working out.  No cool down because I had to, um, jump off the treadmill for a moment.
Route: Treadmill!   Actual paces were
First 10 mins started at 4.1mph and went up 0.1mph every 2mins as a running warm up after the walking warmup.
3:00 at 6.2mph, 2:00 at 4.5mph
3:00 at 6.2mph, 2:00 at 4.6mph
3:00 at 6.2mph, 2:00 at 4.7mph
3:00 at 6.2mph, 2:00 at 4.8mph
3:00 at 6.2mph, 2:00 at 4.9mph
3:00 at 6.2mph, 2:00 at 5.0mph
And then I gradually backed off the pace from 5.0mph down as my cool down.  But I had to abort the cool down and go handle some other business instead.
High Points of the workout: I felt like I could do this all day.  My pace felt smooth.  Even as I made the 'easy' times harder, they felt like a rest. Coach asked me my favorite workout of the actual workouts and this may be it.  Or maybe it was just having a good day.
Struggles of the workout: Keeping it real here.  I almost did not get out of bed for this.  Hardest part of today was waking up.  And then trying not to poop my pants, but we're all good there.
From the high points, I learned: I practiced staying calm even when my lungs were burning.  I'll need that on race day.
From the struggles, I learned: I'm glad I didn't let myself go back to sleep. Because here we were at 9am and my workout is all done for the day.
Next steps: As I was running, I started thinking about the last time I really raced hard, and how excited I was for that race, and how excited I was about being on the pain train the entire time.  Really. I could not wait.  So, I'm putting myself in that head space again.  Ride the pain train.  It'll be great!
Bonus: I did legs and abs today, since I didn't really do a good cool down on the treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment