1.1.10

2009: Liz's year in review

For the past couple of years, I've written a year in review post, always after we are completely done with the former year. (Year-in-review posts at the beginning of like, December, make me crazy. Dude, we're not done yet.) See how 2007 and 2008 treated me.

January started off pretty much like this January, with Amanda and I jumping in a lake for no particular reason. 2009 was a much warmer jump than 2010. It was in the 20's that day.

February (that's a weird month to spell) was a mix of continuing to reel from the bed bug infestation and an awesome time in Florida spent drinking with the aunties hanging out with my family and running a lot. I needed Florida in February because we had record setting cold in Minnesota in January of that year.

March saw the beginning of fund raising for Bolder Options and a recognition that 2009 was, indeed, going to be the year I ran a marathon. Incidentally, it's not too late to give. Bolder Options is a great mentoring program in the Twin Cities. You can show your support by donating here. Big Thank You! to everyone who supported Bolder in 2009.

April was the month I became a pet owner. How long do guppies live? (Ha, I just thought, "until they jump into Lake Minnetonka through a hole in the ice and become minnows". It's obvious what I was doing today.) One of the original guppies is still alive. One died and I've added two more since then. None of them actually have names from me but both Steve and Amanda have given them names they try to teach me.

May Jim Borgman made an allusion to my high school English class that everyone in AP English at Walnut Hills can recognize. The real accomplishment of May was running a half marathon.

June is the month I get a year better every year. This June Sarah came for a visit. I think she'll be back.

July and all summer really, was heavy duty marathon training. It was in July that I ran my first fifteen miler while I was at home in Cincinnati. I still remember thinking I was never going to get off that path. Three laps is really a long time.

August was Ragnar Relay time. I was so sick. I just remember not being able to keep any food in my body and drinking water and sports drink non-stop. And I remember Beth and Robin and other other Beth and small children waiting at the top of Hidden Falls Drive for me and cheering. In 2010 I'd like to run Ragnar and be healthy at the same time.

September was the month I did my 20 miler in preparation for the marathon, but the real event was the Bolder Dash which Dad actually came to town to watch.

October was marathon month. First, the running mates ran the Twin Cities marathon and Jenna, Beth and I biked all over the cities to cheer for them. Then the running mates helped me train for my marathon by telling me about some, um, interesting plumbing issues anyone can have. Then I flew to Amsterdam and ran the Amsterdam Marathon. And stayed sober long enough to tell the tale.

November gave me the worst nosebleed I've ever had, and the most expensive. I just got another bill in the mail yesterday. (This is why we need healthcare reform.) It's also the month of Thanksgiving: my favorite holiday.

December brought me back onto the race track in a fun but completely unspectacular way. Christmas was one of the best visits I've had with my parents. I got them very little actual stuff and more gift certificates that wont accumulate in the house (I hope). I got Mom a gift certificate to Kiva and rugs from Ikea, Dad a magazine subscription and The Vegetable Bible for cooking. I got them both a gift certificate to The Green Dog Cafe because they like to go out to eat and I like that it's local food. (I can still hear my cousin saying "We only drink the milk if we know the cow".) And then I began thinking about how to ring in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment