1.1.09

Liz Trains for a Marathon Week 5: An High Act of Friendship

Tuesday, I did go to the gym and did the elliptical for over 3 miles, which I've decided to count as running, especially in the winter. There's only so much I can do on that track. I do love having the track there though.

Today, we are also counting an activity as a 3 mile run. What was the activity? A supreme act of friendship. Last year, I read about this thing where they cut a hole in the ice on one of the lakes and let people jump in as sort of a new years day tradition. I wanted to do it. Kelly and Amanda's reaction (I'm paraphrasing here) was "no, you dipstick, are you crazy?" I quickly decided I was crazy and spent a perfectly pleasant 2008 not jumping in any freezing cold water.

So I was mildly surprised when Amanda left me a message saying she wanted to jump in the lake this year and would I go with her. Remember the part where I got over it last year? I said yes because I didn't have an actual reason not to. Although as the day got closer I started thinking, "seriously?" The rules for participating say you have to hold hands with at least one other person when you jump, so neither her nor I could back out and let the other person down.



The reason it counts as a 3 mile run is that we were in what can only be described as a mob for a good 90 minutes waiting in line to go jump. They (wisely) keep the divers inside and let them out in groups of 30 or so, and there were around 500 people there (guessing based on last year). Amanda and I, being least experienced, had to jump last, so we waited for a long time.

What was the dive like? Well, we got up to this hole that was 8'x30', with a rope tied about 8' out. The rules say we had to go under that rope (so as to get totally immersed in the lake). But once under the rope, the Shoreview volunteer firefighters stick a pole in the water and if a diver grabs onto the poll, they'll pull the diver the rest of the way so they can climb out. We're watching all this while standing outside in 20* weather in our bathing suits.



Amanda and I were both thinking, "it's 30 feet, seriously, we'll swim". And then I hit the water. We had a plan to go in the water and under the rope in one. So as soon as I was coming up for air I let go of Amanda's hand. That's when my brain stopped. I couldn't think, couldn't move, was only aware of utter cold. Like nothing I've ever felt before. I reached out for the stick and thought "take me home boys".


My contacts kept freezing to my eyelashes and my eyes kept freezing shut which was distracting. And it didn't really start to hurt until I was looking at this metal ladder with icicles on it that I had to climb up to get out. I have never felt a pain like that in my life. But it was short lived. As soon as I got my towel on, I felt much better. I think next year I'm going with a big robe or blanket.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, you two are insane! It's good you didn't call me about it. :) I've never understood this particular tradition, but I'm glad you two had fun (and didn't die of hypothermia).

    ReplyDelete