18.3.19

Sunday Long Run: The River has thawed

Plan: I mean, 16 miles in some direction or other.  There was really not much of a plan today.
Actual Mileage: 16.0 miles, the last few hundredths of a mile were circling the parking lot to get to a round number.  There was another runner there and she knew exactly what I was doing.
Route: This is why there was really no plan.  The route would kind of be dictated by ice conditions along the trail.
Start: Lock and Dam 1 Parking lot; which has been a good starting point for a lot of these runs.
Miles 1-5 h Mile 6 - wow, that's a big ice patch by the Guthrie; maybe don't come back this way?
Mile 7 and 8- across the Stone Arch Bridge into northeast.  Wow!  More ice patches, maybe go back on the other side of the street?
Mile 9 - I thought I'd go over the Dinkytown Greenway onto the U of M Campus, but the ice past the pedestrian tunnel was the most impressive I'd seen all day, so I turned around and stayed on my side of the river.  I'd judged the mileage would get me back to my car between 14.5 and 15 miles which meant some amount of back and forth for the cool down/total mileage.
Miles 10-15 Back south along the river, same way I'd came.  This side of the river is less hilly than the U of M/St Paul side, though Franklin Ave hill was still rough.
Mile 16 - I did an out and back over the Ford Bridge as my 'cool down'.  And by that I mean "I walked the last mile". 

Weather: SUNNY.  I mean, let me tell you how bright and sunny Minnesota can be. It was glorious. It was cool, around 30* to start, and maybe 34* at the end, and winds out of the northwest around 5mph.  This is my first run of the year where the river is legit thawed out.  I was so captivated by the reflections of the buildings and bridges in the water.  It was gorgeous. 

Wardrobe:
Shoes: I did NOT wear my Altras.  I wore an older pair of Merrells, which have some traction but not the monster lugs of heavy duty trail shoes.
Bottom: Brooks Running pants
Top: Christmas shirt, sweet shirt
Other: Sunglasses were required today.  I had a fleece headband on for most of the run but that did get too hot/uncomfortable by the end. I did not wear a hat or gloves.  Nathan vest with two water bottles and other goodness. 
Execution:  I felt like garbage when I woke up.  My head was pounding, my stomach was bleh, garbage. I'm getting my period though, so this is not likely to improve if I wait 'till tomorrow.  I ran this knowing I felt like crap and just trying to keep moving, not caring about pace.  I had the rule in my head I could switch to a run/walk whenever I wanted, which I did not do.  I did basically walk the last mile as my cool down though. My head stopped hurting around mile 15. 

Update: I think I should be fair to myself and say here this is the first day I've really felt bad in my body during marathon training.  Some of this is related to my cycle, and not so much about running, but wow, this was rough and I got through it. (I came back after this post was written to say that as a note to my future self.)
Nutrition: Before the run I had a couple slices of cheese, and unrelated to the cheese I had a scoop of nutella. During the run I had gummies and water.  

From today, I learned: If I'm going to run this long, I need to start thinking about electrolytes.  Because that was not helping the "I feel like garbage" issues.   But really the thing I learned was mental grit.  This run sucked from top to bottom but I was SO HAPPY to have it done, and so proud of myself for a) getting out of bed and b) getting this done. 
Bonus: During my cooldown I realized how close I was to Smashburger, so when I got back to my car instead of driving home, I headed over there for post-run nutrition.
Second bonus: I listed to Michelle Obama's book during this run.  At the start of the run, she'd just met Barack Obama and 16 miles later she's got two kids and a job she loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment