12.8.07

My "Day of Rest"

I think I've mentioned before how I enjoy using Sunday as "my day of rest". Since I didn't really exercise yesterday I did walk around Lake Nokomis this morning and it was gorgeous. It was so nice out I couldn't really justify exercising indoors. I will try to go tomorrow morning.

For a large part of the day I've been watching the Style Network. Kelly, don't pass out. I watched Clean House and decided that I needed to get strict instructions from my parents on what they want done with their belongings if they pass into my care. Specifically, we have a bunch of old quilts from Mom's family and paintings from Dad. I think if they tell me to get rid of them, I could, but I would have a really hard time doing so without their permission.

And then I started watching How Do I Look? The two of you, don't get any ideas. Two things about that show. I really like the host, Finola Hughes. She's gorgeous, and unlike many other hosts, she's nice to the people who are getting a makeover. Also, she has a nice way of letting silence hang in a conversation to emphasize an idea in a really poignant way instead of filling the silence with words to go for the cheap laugh. (The social worker in me is drawn to this. It's classy.) Second thing I decided is that for nice clothes, I really do have some things that make me look like a girl. Not many, but some. But I don't have a whole lot of casual clothes that flatter my body, especially jeans which I prefer maybe too big and droopy. (Again, don't get any ideas.)

I think one time I confessed that my biggest fear was that Amanda and Kelly were going to sign me up for one of those makeover shows. The good news is I haven't seen either one of them with a video camera, ever, so I feel safe for the moment. And I try to bring Kelly shopping with me so I am open to at least some form of help.

In the home design department, I'm getting in my head to a place where I can visualize myself actually painting the entry way. Is there something I need to wait for or I can I just start this project? I feel like the taping alone will take a night, and that's before the stripes get taped. Today I plan on listening to a podcast of Car Talk and going through old school papers in an effort to declutter my life. I was inspired by Clean House. There are people in my family whose homes have looked something like that one in my lifetime. Not my close family. Well, I think my Grandma's house was almost that bad. There were bigger paths cleared. You can see why I'm constantly fighting the junk monster.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:50 AM

    I would like to defend myself and say that I would never put anyone I know on one of those shows. I try to not do things to other people that I wouldn't want them to do to me, and that falls in this category. So embarrassing! And in front of millions of tv viewers? Horrible. One of my friends wouldn't do that to me. At least, not one who wanted to continue being considered my friends.

    So, you see, even if I had thought of the idea (which I hadn't), and had the means (which I don't), I still couldn't be cruel enough to do that to you.

    You're safe.

    ReplyDelete