6.6.10

Is it a PR if you've only run the distance once?


A couple days ago, Beth decided it would be fun to run the Grand Old Day 8k this morning. I was, um, less than enthusiastic because the two other times I ran this week, I got really sick.

I was almost a complete hermit yesterday. The only other human being I spoke to was while I was getting cash so I could run this morning. So I decided I could get out today.

I decided a good goal for the race would be speed/time related. I finished my last 10k at an 11:05/mile pace. So I decided on an 11:00/mile was my goal.

It was a really fun race. Beth and Robin took off like a dart. It was about ten steps before I decided not to even try staying with them. (One of the better decisions I made today.) All that hill training paid off because if I passed people, it was always going uphill. About quarter-mile from the finish line this girl and I pulled even. I could tell she wasn't going to let me get by her (I do love the competitive types) so I just drafted off her until we both decided to pass a third person and fly to the finish line.

When I crossed the clock said 54:??... something. I think I made my goal. But they haven't posted the official chip times yet so I'm not sure. (It's 6pm, why aren't the times posted yet?)

After the race Beth fed me awesome coffee and her girls took me to the parade. We were about 50 feet from the staging area so we got tons of good candy and stickers. Then we went up to KidLand (that's what I'd call it). The kids rode some slides. We found some games (didn't win but they were free and the volunteers were from Habitat for Humanity which was cool) and we found baby animals including the cutest baby kangaroo (also known as a Joey).

I stopped at Chipotle (like it was going to be anywhere else) for breakfast/lunch. Since I got home, I've been enjoying Ice Road Truckers which I find problematically addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment