4.3.07

The Sunday Seven

From The Sunday Seven:
Name your seven favorite animals to see at the zoo.

I've never been to The Minnesota Zoo, but I grew up in Cincinnati, which has the amazing Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens.

1. Obviously my favorite animals in any zoo are the fruit bats. Most zoos also have vampire bats which I think are cool (their knees are different from any other kind of bats) but the fruit bats are way bigger, easier to see, and cuter.

2. I always liked going to see the eagles as well. I really like most raptors. (Firefox thinks "raptors" isn't a word so I mean I like hawks, eagles, owls, and similarly large meat eating birds.) In Cincinnati visitors can actually walk into the aviary where the eagles live.

3. The Komodo Dragons in Cincinnati came when I was 8 or 9 and for some reason they captured my imagination even though they don't do a whole lot.

4. Cincinnati had really awesome walruses. One of them spit on me once as part of a show. Everyone else laughed. I was not amused. It probably didn't help that the mom of the kid I was with also laughed at me.

5. The African planes exhibit. I love the elephants and the giraffes. I'm counting them as one because technically they're in the same exhibit in Cincinnati.

6. The Polar bears. At some point Cincinnati Zoo got a lot of money from somewhere to build this fantastic polar bear enclosure where guests can actually see the bears swimming and playing around. It seems much less cruel than the polar bear enclosure at our Como Zoo.

7. The big cats. There's this woman at the Cincinnati Zoo, or at least she was, called Katherine Hilker who does these Cheetah talks. Also the zoo had two white bengal tigers. Bengal tigers are special to Cincinnati also because of our football team.

No comments:

Post a Comment