22.10.06

Normally this would get me in trouble

Normally, I get myself into trouble when I write about politics on this blog. I am once again wading into the quagmire. I am reasonably assured that this time I won't get too many angry responses because I want to talk about an item that's on the ballot in Minneapolis. (Since the people who read this blog and know me live in St. Paul, I'm feeling ok.)

An issue is on the ballot in Minneapolis for Instant Runoff Voting. Instead of primaries, voters rank their choices on a ballot on election day. Here's my thing, I'm not totally sure I understand the negatives to this idea. There must be some or we would have done it sooner.

Here's a hilarious, although biased, video on instant runoff voting:


I also found an article about IRV in San Fransisco which adopted it a couple of years ago.

Finally, I found a poorly done website trying to teach me the ills of IRV. I wish there was a better website listing the arguments against Instant Runoff Voting so I could make a more informed choice.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM

    Glad you've flagged this charter amendment. It's a really important vote there in Minneapolis. A couple thoughts that might help, with both suggesting "IRV" is a wave of the future.

    1) Dozens of colleges and universities have adopted instant runoff voting in the past few years, including the U-Minnesota. Students seem to really like it.

    2. Exit polls in San Francisco show that people under 30 prefer their new IRV system to their old runoff system by a -- yes -- greater than eight to one margin. The margin is four to one for all voters.

    ReplyDelete