1.10.20

COVID Diaries - Cincinnati Trip

 I've already told family this is my Thanksgiving and Christmas trip.  Not sure if I'm telling them or myself.

Thursday: 

Run: I woke up and ran first thing.  Ahead of showering and all the other good stuff.

Periodontist: I had my final check up with the periodontist.  He stuck his fingers in my mouth, said all good, took a couple of pictures of my mouth and let me go.  I'm allowed to brush my teeth now, so that's new.

Traveling: For a long trip, it was mercifully uneventful.  I did all the things the google lady told me to do around Chicago and kept myself out of trouble there and in Indy as well. I had McDonald's for breakfast and lunch (I know), and when I got home I had Dad take me over to Skyline for supper.  So, yeah, not losing weight yet.

Friday:

Run: This is the earliest I've run on the trip.  Probably won't get my hopes too high for more of the same.

Work: I worked from Mom and Dad's basement most of the day.  That is what it will be.  It's actually fairly comfortable down there. 

After work: Mom and I took a walk "around the circle" which makes sense if you know where they live.  Mom could stand another lap or two.  Her hip really bothers her.  (Her hip that she blamed on me all these years. Y'all, one leg is shorter than the other.  I had nothing to do with this bullshit.)  Then we went and had a social distance dinner with friends including Downstairs Mom and Dad who I haven't seen in a while and some other wonderful people.

 Saturday:

Pretty sure I was a lazy bum most of the morning.  In the early afternoon I took Mom and Dad on a "longer" walk.  I'm getting all my minutes in for a walking Garmin challenge on this trip.  Then I ran my mile.

Family: In the late afternoon, I headed over to my aunt's house.  We had an early supper and then social distance watched a young cousin play soccer.  From a parking lot on top of the hill.  And then we had apple crisp.  I have missed my Kentucky people so hard.


Sunday:

Run: I did run in the morning today.  We had an early lunch of goetta and eggs.  And then, y'all, we headed back to Kentucky.  Unexpectedly though, I had a screw in my tire, so we took mom's car which hadn't been driven in like a month.

Family: We headed down to the farm to see my aunt and uncle, and also said hello to their neighbors (who are basically bonus family).  It's always a request of mine to go down to the farm and take a walk.  Always.  It's one of my most favorite places in the world.  I am surprised and mildly pleased to tell you that Mom came along.  It was hard for her, but I think maybe a little easier than the last time I was in town because she wasn't telling everyone else to clean their hands.


Monday: 

Car repair and running: So, I mentioned the screw in my tire.  I didn't even have a tire pressure warning.  I took it to a tire place near Mom and Dad and said "can you make this safe so I can drive back to Minnesota?" and they said sure.  I said "I'm going to take a walk, I'll come back when it's done."

I wound up using my super power of finding a fun running trail close to wherever I am.  At first I was just walking, racking up minutes on my Garmin challenge.  But then I was all "this is silly, I should run my mile so I'm done, and then I can have Skyline for lunch" so I did that too. And yes, I did have Skyline for lunch and almost nothing for supper.


Tuesday: 

Y'all, I think today is Tuesday but I'm a bit confused.

Family: I got to see Grandma.  I haven't seen her since Christmas so it made my heart big even though I couldn't give her a hug.

Work: I had kind of a repeat of yesterday, but not exactly.  I worked from Ault Park in my car.  Then I ran my mile.  Then I had Skyline, and then I worked from a different park for the rest of the day.

I'd had a date with Dad to play tennis in the late afternoon but he was too tired so we bailed.


Wednesday:

I started with a work meeting.  I tried not to see it as super boring.  But I'd heard the first hour of it 2 times before, so I spent that time making coffee, breakfast, etc.  And then I worked most of the day.

In the afternoon, Dad and I headed out.  He let me out of the car at the head of a running trail, and then headed over to the driving range.  The running trail leads to the driving range if done correctly so I got a great workout.

In the evening, I hung out with Marge on our driveway.  The neighbors and their kids were out and super entertaining.  Apparently we get to do it again tomorrow.  It's someone's birthday? I'm unclear.  I just have to organize take out.   


Thursday: 

I worked in the morning.  And had goetta and eggs.  I was fairly grumpy most of the morning.  I dunno why.  It is what it is.

I ran in the afternoon and then walked with Mom and Dad.  Slowly.  We saw a neighbor of theirs who'd been hit by a car (in his car) and was home from rehab finally.  He wanted Dad to stay and have a beer with him.

In the evening a friend came over and we had carry out for supper on the driveway.  It was excellent.


Friday: 

 I did a quick weight routine and then a short run in the morning.

Work was fast and slow.  I'd worked so hard other days this pay period, there wasn't a ton left over for me to do on Friday, but I needed to check in because I was one of two people working. 

In the evening, I headed down to Kentucky for another visit with the family.  We wound up playing corn hole and social distancing by the fire.  Super relaxing evening and I was glad for everyone's company.


Saturday: 

Was a super chill day as it turned out.  I ran, walked, and hung out with Mom and Dad.  Mom was going through the archives apparently and found this gem.  Phone list on the back not pictured.


Sunday:

Was also a super chill day.  I ran, had Skyline, and visited my cousin and his family.  They are probably the least quarantined.  I saw them last because a few people earlier on were super strict about staying inside/away from people. But it was a great visit, good to see them and the baby who's almost not a baby anymore.

Monday: 

So.  Much.  Driving.

I got up at 6:30am Cincy time and as in the car by 7am.

I started off by listening to Between The World and Me by T. Coates.  It kind of blew my mind.  Definitely not an easy or a comfortable read, but super important.  Especially right now.  I stopped for the arches in Indiana for breakfast.  I drove straight through Illinois because I was grumpy and also because the google lady took me straight through Chicago on the Skyway.  (This is the fastest way, but only if the traffic is right.) I stopped one last time in WI at Arby's and tried their Greek Gyro sandwich.  It was really good but I could've used twice as much meat.

When I got home, I went for a run.  Then I went back to Arby's for another sandwhich.  I don't know what time I went to bed but it was early.  I was still confused about the time. 

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment