25.8.18

Hanging with the Family Part 3 - Tennis and Chili

Saturday
Morning: I had an early flight and an even earlier bus/train ride out of town.
Afternoon: Mom and I had Skyline for lunch and then we had the one nice visit with Grandma.  We met up with a friend who was surprisingly kid free for the day.  The three adults headed over to the zoo.  I got to see Fiona for the first time.  I also saw pelicans and penguins.  I love Pelicans.
Evening: We had Indian for supper because Friend’s Husband doesn’t eat the ethnic food.  As I was going to bed I found this note. It's funny because I'm actually the cleaning person who washed those sheets in May.

Sunday:
Morning: I meant to get up at 6am and run 8 miles.  I real life it was after 9am and I ran 3 miles.  We did grocery shopping and prepped dinner ahead of time.
Afternoon: We went over and had a fairly lousy visit with Grandma that we wound up cutting short.
Evening: Cousin, his wife, and Baby Cousin her blog name may become Sweet Pea came over for supper and hanging out.  It was lovely.

Monday
Morning: I did get up around 6am, and ran about 6 miles.
Afternoon: This was Dad and my “bonus tennis day”.  Just the two of us headed out.   Pictures are Azerenka (played a 3 set first round match), Andy Murray (lost and still looks hurt), Shapovolav (another lefty had a hard match with Tiafoe that he won).  And John Isner and Sam Querry (they just served aces past each other for a while.)  It was really hot.  Dad said 'it's not often I drink $40 worth of beer with my daughter.'  That was 2 beers each, btw.  Tennis prices.
Evening:  After tennis we got in the pool to stop out bodies from feeling like they were cooking, and then had left over chicken salad sandwiches.

Tuesday:
Morning: Second day of getting up early and running.  Another 6 miles in the books.
Afternoon: Day 2 of tennis, and it was hotter than day 1.  I headed up with my cousin.  We looked around for a bit, and then met up with family.  We saw a bit of Jack Sock losing, a great doubles match, a women’s doubles match which was not as exciting, and Azarenka’s first set of what was ultimately a loss. We also got to see Novak Djokovic and Simona Haley practicing.  Mom got to see someone pass out as well.  It was hot y’all.
Evening: After tennis, we all got to take showers and then had a small supper of chicken salad.

Wednesday:
Morning: I woke up at the crack of dawn and went running.  It was a really good run.  And it ended with coffee which was also spectacular.  Eventually I wound up at Grandma’s and that did not go well, but I did say hello to a couple out of town relatives I don’t get to see often.]
Afternoon: Mom and I headed down to see the Kentucky boys and play all of the games.  We did mustache smash, super uno (or something, the one with the slot machine), and a basketball game outside before it started to rain.
Evening:  For supper, we saw Uncle Spaghetti and family.  They are also sad about Grandma, but otherwise doing well and trying to stay positive.

Thursday:
Morning: I woke up late on purpose because it was raining.  Mom and I headed over to Kentucky to see an old friend from the museum and drink all of the coffee.  On the way back, we checked out the Apothecary exhibit at the Krohn, which was interesting.  We saw Grandma again for a while which was fairly awful.  (At this point, I’m going to see her because I want to think of myself as the kind of person who goes to see her Grandma.  But I can’t tell if she’s getting anything good out of it, or if I’m just making things worse.).
Afternoon: I was ready for a run and honestly didn’t care about getting wet.  This is meant to be a bit of a rest day instead of yesterday, so I didn’t go too far.  Mom and Dad had some errands to run.
Evening: I had grits and catfish and okra for supper at this place called Swampwater Grill.  It’s legit.

Friday:
Morning: It was already over 70* and super humid, so I did another short run today, but I did do my weights workout, so that was a plus.  Dad and I headed over to see Grandma around 9:30.  The visit got off to a rough start, but turned out to be great.  Grandma got dressed and went to Rosary and Mass, and seemed quite peaceful about the whole thing.  It was nice to see her be not so upset for a little while.
Afternoon/Evening: I hung out at home in the afternoon and then we went to Tellers for supper with Marge (and Mom and Dad).  This was a fairly low key day and I was fine with it.

Saturday
Morning:  My days of getting up early to run continue.  I ran 4+ miles and then grabbed coffee.  Mom and I headed over to see Grandma and had what wound up to be the best visit of the trip.  Grandma was talking about camp and working in the ice cream shop, and we talked about her noodles for a while too.  If you know Grandma, this is really fun to hear her talk about.
Afternoon: I finally had Mom and Dad get their own accounts for their cell phones, so that took a while.  Mom and I also stopped at Whole Foods and did some shopping at Rookwood but neither of us bought anything.
Evening: We saw Crazy Rich Asians and I loved every minute of it.  For the ladies, it's a film that features smart, powerful, kind women who have depth.  For the travelers, it made me want to go back to Singapore.  I kept watching going "I've been there".

Sunday:
Morning: Well, 5:30am rolled around way too soon.  I got up and did the longest run I've done in quite some time.  (I think since this time last year?) We had breakfast and then went over to see Grandma.  That was going really well until all of a sudden it was going very badly.  I did get to see an Mean Aunt (she's not really mean, it's a nickname) who lives in California and was here visiting.  I'm glad to catch up with her.
Afternoon: Mom, Dad and I headed over for one last taste of Skyline before...
Evening: I wound up flying home with Dungeon Master's sorority sisters.  My ticket was for a middle seat.  When I got on the plane, a mom was in the aisle and her (roughly 10yrs old) son was sitting next to her in the middle seat, so I wound up with a window.  I considered it a lucky break.
Afternoon:

No comments:

Post a Comment