15.11.08

Congratulations, you've reached your goal of 1,000 posts

Graphic taken from this place.

I was thinking about what would be a really special post for my one-thousandth post. Here's what I came up with: for all of you, I've updated my amazon.com wish list.

Also, Garmin GPS systems seem to be ridiculously discounted on Amazon right now, and, Amanda, Sports Authority online has ridiculous deals on Nike apparel. I got an insane deal on cold weather running pants and a jacket. I was going to just tell my parents what to get me for Christmas but it was so cheap, I just went ahead and bought it.

In a couple weeks, I have to give a talk about my trip to South Africa. I decided that I needed to talk about living in Malawi as part of that talk so I scanned a whole bunch of pictures into my computer for that, and from my first trip to South Africa, including some of the pictures where I'm bald. This stuff is really fun for me to remember so I thought I'd share it:

This was my first time in South Africa, October or November of 2001.
Above: Table Mountain at Sunrise. Below: Kaga Kamma.

This picture was controversial because I was too young to buy alcohol in the US. No problem in South Africa though.


Gugulethu township, which of course, I revisited in 2008.
That's my friend Sarah also seen here, and two South African school teachers. We tried Sarah tried to fix something on their computer but it didn't work. I still remember Sarah was fooling around on the computer and one of them was looking out the window and singing song to herself and we stopped to listen. It was really cool.

These guys are singing their national anthem, one of my favorite songs.

Yes, that's my "golfing". I think I was posing for a picture.

Remember: there's nothing like close ups of kids.

Why am I wearing a bandanna in all of these pictures? Because I was bald, and in the stop before South Africa I'd learned the rather painful lesson that scalps can peel because of sunburn just like any other part of the body.



Then, there's Malawi. Four years later, I still don't have the words to explain, but these might help:









I'm especially speechless thinking of my family:




No comments:

Post a Comment