6.10.07

The joys on the internet

Did you know that wifi signals travel better down than up? I read that the other day. So it's best to have your router as high as possible in your apartment or house. My signal is still weaker than everyone else. Why is that? I'm three feet from the thing.

First, a quick shout out to The Breast Cancer Site which is related to The Hunger Site (also linked in the side bar). Both these sites are pay-per-click. In this case, it means every time you click the button that says "click here to give, it's free" the weekly sponsor makes a donation to the site. You can click once a day.

Just another reason I don't shop at Wal-Mart. Once you get over the grossness, it's hilarious to think about. (Safe for work.)

A warning to all of you iPod Nano users out there. Oh, wait, I have one too. I remember reading an article that said Toyota had made a concept Prius that ran on a Li-Ion batter, similar to the Li-Ion batteries used in the iPod Nano and all the computers that keep setting themselves on fire. The article was bemoaning Toyota's decision not to put the new car into development because it got like 120 miles per gallon. The drawback: li-ion batters do have a track record of blowing up. I do hope Toyota is working on a solution to that problem.

Finally, the recipe for my favorite Alfredo Sauce ever. I think I gained weight just thinking about that recipe.

The internet map maps where internet users are most dense, and how the internet connects people of different geographic locations. The map of the world is fascinating. Especially look at the US, Europe, Japan and New Zealand compared to Asia and Africa. Australia is less dense I'm assuming due to the way the population is distributed there.

40 Demotivational Posters that are probably not safe for work due to language. Most of the first ones are either dumb or offensive. However: I love

  • The "hydration: the key to marathon training" is hilarious

  • The "Mom's minivan" one is so true.

  • The "Ninjas: there are four of them in this picture" makes me think of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie (the one with Vanilla Ice) where the bad guys would steal all this merchandise out of the backs of trucks in like four seconds and disappear.

  • The one with the skier that says "Think" I about pass out just looking at it. (This time it's not the OCD, it's the fear of heights.)

  • The very last one is both hilarious (other than the language) and makes me think of Cindee whom I hope is enjoying grad school.


A very cool article on The Value of Intangible Wealth based on a study by the World Bank. Kelly, you who are studying geography might find this interesting. It's basically saying that in the US, up to 80% of our wealth is intangible, and manifests itself in things like an efficient relatively uncorrupted judicial and law enforcement system, and infrastructure like buildings, urban spaces and roads that we all use. But in places with fewer of these things, like poor African countries, only 60% of their wealth is intangible which means a greater percentage of their wealth is in things like natural resources and marketable goods. That's really important for countries like Malawi that have very few natural resources, but a higher percentage of the country's value is tied to them.

I found this journaling program for Mac OS X through a link on Del.icio.us. I thought about using it, but then I thought what's the point when I have a blog? It'd be cool if that program could talk to my blog though. I wonder if it can. Maybe I'll download it and find out.

And now for a word about torrents. I tried this program called Miro which is an internet TV player. I didn't use it long. I found that I could find just about any television show on the air today, or that had aired in recent memory to download and play through Miro. And then I tried to actually play one. It was going to take like three hours to download a 30 minute show. So I tried a couple different shows from a couple different sources. And then I decided it was stupid and I didn't want to wait that long. Joost seems to work a bit better but has way fewer television shows. I think Netflix is still the answer. That option has the added bonus of being legal too.

No comments:

Post a Comment