7.8.06

Who's on a roll now

Ok, so Kelly got me on a roll with the whole "Las-Vegas-hates-the-homeless" thing. I was reading some things that others posted on her comments section, some in support of the ordinance and others against it. The solution enacted by city council in effect states that parks are for the people who live around them and not the homeless. There aren't enough parks to share or we shouldn't have to share with these people. This is known as the Scarcity Mentality.

I am reminded of something my Mom (yes, I just lobbed that one up there for you) said to me as a child, still says to me in fact. She's always and forever telling me, "there is enough to go around", "there is enough time", "we have enough of that". That is called an abundance mentality.

Basically, it states that there are enough resources in the world. We as a people just need to decided how to share those resources. There is enough money for everyone. There are enough doctors in the world. There is enough medicine in the world. There is enough time in the world. There is enough water in the world. There is enough oil in the world.

There is enough food to feed the world. The problem is that the food is not in the right place, spoils too quickly, or being fed to livestock. So once we know there is right now enough food in the world, what do we do with that information? (I'd like to point out that the BBC article is hard for me to look at because the pictures remind me of Malawi where I lived.)

Now apply that to the United States. The United States has the highest GDP in the world and the fifth highest GDP per capita in the world. So, there's a lot of money here. We have a lot of resources. We have enough.

Now apply that to Las Vegas. The median income of Las Vegas is $44,069 which is about average for the United States.

The United States is the world's bank, the world's bread basket, and the world's police force. Do you really think we don't have enough to share with 12,000 homeless people in Las Vegas?

So, assume that there are enough resources to fix this problem. Assume that there is enough space, enough parks and enough money to fix this probelm. Now what do you want to do?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:16 PM

    Liz, those were two very well-written and well-researched posts on the situation. Thanks for adding the social work point of view to the mix.

    Oh, and I posted on the other blog, if you wanted to read.

    ReplyDelete