7.11.20

COVID Diaries - November 7. #46

 So, I  took a long time off the COVID diaries, because, I was so over... everything.

I'll also point out I totally slept through my eight year running streak anniversary.  Next big milestone is 3,000 days, so maybe I celebrate more then, if I make it? 

Election night, I had a small but might contigent of friends on Zoom who did Taiji or Qigong every hour on the hour that the polls closed across the mainland US.  (Sorry, Hawaii and Alaska, but I was legit toast by the west coast.) The next day, Dad called to tell me how much he enjoyed the exercises.  Dad.  Who is not a gusher.

Wednesday morning, I did finally get the nerve to turn on my phone and look at the results. At that point things were slightly leaning towards Biden but in no way certain. 

The calling of Wisconsin and Michigan for Biden are a blur.  Was that Wednesday?  Thursday? I can't remember.  And why is Arizona light blue? Also, Nevada had been light blue by like 6,000 votes at that point, which had me super nervous.  Until I understood all the outstanding votes were in Las Vegas. 

Friday morning, I woke up to the headlines that Biden had somehow pulled ahead in Georgia by 900 votes.  (And then several articles about Stacy Abrams roll in the election.)  Sometime on Friday they also seemed to turn the state of Pennsylvania blue. And it was like "is this real?"  and "can I trust it?"

Today is Saturday.  I woke up and looked at CNN.  The headline was roughly "Biden's really close".  Shortly after that I was talking to Dungeon Master on the telephone and it was she who told me they'd called the election.  She also told me all of downtown was boarded up and many stores in south were boarded up as well. And she then clarified, these are new boards.  These are not related to the George Floyd murder.  One of my neighbors up here confirmed.  I'm unclear if things were boarded up in case the election was called, or in case it was not.

I talked to Mom and Dad for a while.  Neither of them are real gushers about this kind of thing, but they were obviously touched by the celebrations in the streets. I was too. Some of my friends are getting together in person later to celebrate. I am too COVID aware (5400 new cases in the state yesterday?!?!) to go.  I'm celebrating from here.

2020 has been a real shit show, from wild fires to COVID to the economy to the state of my own mental health (and waste line?)   I feel like I'm taking a break from reality over here.  Sitting in my backyard on a record warm day, celebrating 46!


No comments:

Post a Comment