8.10.19

TC 10K - the race that wasn't

Day(s) before:
Expo:  I don’t know what my issue was, but I was not at all impressed this year.  Perhaps I’m just ruined by Cincinnati?  The expo was set up differently.  (Portrait versus landscape if you know what I mean.) I couldn’t tell if there were fewer vendors or if it just seemed that way due to the set up.
Transportation to/from expo: I thought I was going to bus, but a wardrobe failure on my part meant I drove, parked at the Science Museum, and paid a whopping $1. I’m saying I came out ahead.
Expo SWAG:  I’d registered for the 10K so I got my shirt ahead of time, as well as a buff.

Race Day
Start time: Scheduled for 7:15am
Weather: Well, see, here’s where the drama starts.  We’d been predicted for some rain, including some heavy rain and lightning.  Rain itself was forecasted to start well before the races and last long after.So at 3:53am, the races were all cancelled.
I think they would not have cancelled for this weather on Marathon Sunday.  But the Saturday events have sooo many kids, and they are held on the grass/lawns that would’ve basically been swamps.  The safety concerns for these races are significantly different than the marathon and 10 Mile. So I’m bummed, but I totally get it too.
I texted my coach, and then a few friends who’d had races scheduled as well. Then I want back to sleep for a bit.  Around 10am, I went to the gym to run my mile, and then I walked a 5K with Dungeon Master  She was at least as bummed as I was.

Wardrobe
Transportation to start line:
Route:
Plan/Goals:
Execution:
Nutrition:
Results:

From today, I learned: This is really the biggest ‘first world problem’ right?  As soon as things happened, friends started reaching out.  Or when I let people know, they were bummed for me.  I told Dungeon Master, ‘we can’t get richer than having good friends’.  So, this stings, but I’m trying to focus on all the things that are going right for me including my health, a job I love, a safe and warm place to live, and phenomenal friendships.
Also, the main comment I saw on TCM Facebook page was “at least the marathon people can still run their race, I’d feel really bad if it was them” and that’s exactly how I feel.  I’ve only run one race this year and it was the full Marathon. 
SWAG: I did get the shirt already, and they will give medals away next week apparently.
Remember for next time:  I’m going to put this here.  A few people were all “you even paid a coach”.  I have not regretted that once.  Even if I didn’t get to race, I learned a lot from working with a coach.  I learned about how weeks and workouts are structured.  I learned to push myself.  And I learned my mind is as important as anything else in training.  I feel like the race was going to be putting all those things together to “see” the final result, but my body enjoyed the benefits of the work, even without the race.
Bonus: Instead of running a race, I did the following:
Ran my mile
Walked a 5K with Dungeon Master.
Practiced handstands (my winter fitness goal).  I was nervous but I nailed a handstand on the first try!
Practice bridges (my winter fitness goal also).  I do not have perfect form, but I did get into one.
Had lunch with a few awesome people.
Had a beer with Captain Smiley
Made cheering signs for the marathon tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment