14.10.19

Rice Creek West: Trail Review

In all the free time I have now, with not training for any races, I decided to check out some trails that have been on my 'to see' list.  Right at the top is Rice Creek West - in Anoka Co. Not to be confused with the portions of Rice Creek North in Anoka Co, nor the portions of Rice Creek West and North in Ramsey Co.

Trail: Rice Creek West.

Parking and Logistics I used the Locke Park access to the trail.  There's a port o pot, but the plumbed facilities are always locked for some reason.  I wanted to try this trail because it's quite close to a work location I frequent.  So, even without a place to change at the park, logistics are fine.

Hills: OMG Yes.  This is like "let's put a parking lot up here and then let you run down the hill to the creek.  And then up the hill to this road..."

Ease of Running: It's a paved trail.  The east bound portion of the trail from the dog park was fine except a mighty hill up to the Medtronic campus.  The west bound portion of the trail had issues due to new housing and road construction, and then a very old and 'lumpy' part of the trail. (Sorry, I don't know a better word for it.)

Nature: Lots of birds.  This trail is beautiful for a hot minute before it starts running next to the road. I was so excited and so bummed.

Will I come back: Maybe for a walk, but not for a run. I'm very 'meh' on this trail.  Some parts were amazing, especially down in the woods near the creek.  But, for a run, there are  too many at grade crossings of very busy roads.  Westbound, this crosses University Ave and River Rd at grade, with a signaled crosswalk.  Eastbound, this crosses Central Ave, also at grade with a signaled crosswalk. I didn't go east of Central, but there appear to be at grade crossings of Silver Lake Rd, Stinson Blvd and Long Lake Rd. It's not clear if they are signaled or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment