26.2.07

Wonderful Mondays

From Randomness:

Would your rather....
1. ...eat a live cockroach (the big hissing ones) or eat a stick of butter?
I think I'd actually eat the cockroach. Insects are good food. In Malawi kids eat some of the lake flies as a treat. They can't be that bad. One time I ate crickets (obviously for a guy I liked) I was fine. The only bad part was the texture of the antennae and legs.
2. ...go bungee jumping or sky diving?
Sky diving, even though I think I'd pass out before actually doing it. It'd be cool to be up that high and be safe and enjoying myself. I've heard it's quite a thrill.
3. ...eat a lime or a lemon?
Both. Probably not at the same time. This was one of those things I did as a kid that I was famous for. I'd take the lemon out of my parents water glass at restaurants and eat it.
4. ...be stranded on a deserted island alone or be stranded on a deserted island with someone you hate?
I don't think I'd hate the person very long if we were alone together. I'm just saying...
5. ...be able to read minds or be able to become invisible?
I can already read minds. Right now you're thinking "oh no you can't read minds". Becoming invisible could be cool. It'd be really helpful working with teenagers. I'd always know what they were up to.

From The Sunday Seven:

Name your seven favorite pieces of American architecture.

1. Union Terminal is the building I worked in as a teen. It's got quite a history. Things that aren't on the website but should be: They had to build a morgue at the terminal when it was a train station so that all the soldiers bodies from WWII and the Korean war could be moved around and not rot. Comforting, isn't it?

2. The Old Post Office is Washington DC is possibly one of the most overlooked tourist attractions in the area. Also some good memories from this place. Take the tour up into the bell tower. It's both cool and free. I remember the tour mainly for the two wild elevator rides, but normal people who aren't afraid of heights should be fine.

3. I think I'm not totally biased on this when I say the Minnesota State Captiol is a great piece of architecture. In addition to the Golden Gophers built into the railings, it has the largest granite dome in the country.

4. A lot of architectural planning actually went into The Holocaust Museum, a powerful place that everyone should see once but I'm ok with never seeing again.

5. Monticello is cool for two reasons. Obviously it was the home of Thomas Jefferson who is one of my favorite presidents. Also, my high school's original building (before they built the annex and the old colonies and the new colonies and the new new colonies) was modeled after Monticello. We put the library up in the dome.

6. The Chrysler Building is one of the few sky scrapers I really enjoy. It's got the cool top.

7. Seven Mile Bridge in the Florida Keys is cool not only because it's one of the longest (and tallest) bridges I can stand to be on (thank you Tapan Zee Bridge) but also because it leads eventually to Key West, one of the coolest places on earth.

Notably absent from this list: I thought about that place in North Carolina, the Builtmore, but I've never been there. West Virginia has a state captiol building that's also gorgeous, but I've only seen it from the West Virginia turnpike. I can't reasonably put the White House or the Statue of Liberty on the list right now. If you know me, you understand. I also sadly cannot put on the Hoover Damn because it wreaks havoc on the environment all around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment