9.9.07

Meh

I went out tonight with a guy. Whom I asked out. But just out to dinner. I had a really nice time. Why do I feel so disappointed? What was I expecting? I really did enjoy myself. We went to Punch Neopolitan in the Highland Neighborhood (for those of you who know St. Paul). We talked forever. The waiter kept coming by to take our order and we kept forgetting to look at the menu. Finally I just ordered a Pizza Margherita because I know I like it. And the pizza and the salad was really good. And we had a nice time.

Here's the history of this night. This guy volunteered at the Science Museum with the team I worked with. As those kids are finishing up and summer is starting, Chris was done volunteering for us, and I was done working at el museo. So he said that we should keep in touch. No one knows why I didn't notice a guy my own age actually volunteering for something and put a little more energy there earlier, but I'm stupid and I was in grad school. In the middle of the summer this is looking pretty interesting so I shot him an email and suggested going out. No reply. So I just imagined that's the end of that and I got over the disappointment.

A few nights ago I was talking to one of my only really good friends who is a guy. And he pointed out that suggesting getting together is just not enough for some guys. Some guys and more than a few girls I think require firm plans to accept. Otherwise they just don't get it. This friend suggested I write back with a more direct approach. The email I sent said, "Do you want to go out to dinner on Sunday night?" Which obviously worked out.

There were a lot of questions. Is this a date? Is this just a guy I could be friends with? What the hell is happening? So I dressed date-casual, meaning I wore carpis and a cute top, but he's seen me dressed at least that nicely before for work, so I could blow it off if he came in some scrubby t-shirt or something. I also straightened my hair.

The verdict: I don't think it was a date. He did buy me dinner. There was not any real flirting. I had a really nice time. What does the future hold? I'm adopting a wait and see attitude. It could turn out we're a match made in heaven. It could also turn out that he's a got a rich computer programming friend. I'm just sayin...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:33 PM

    Lack of flirting does not mean it wasn't a date, nor does it mean that you two weren't interested in each other. Some people just don't flirt, or at least don't flirt well. The Husband and I discussed it and it is highly probable that there was no flirting at our first or second dates. And look where we ended up.

    I say you give this guy a few more chances. And wear a skirt next time. A casual one.

    It never hurts.

    ReplyDelete