24.4.07

The Dog: Redeux

Remember the dog incident? I do. I met that dog again today. He followed me farther than last time, although I went farther than last time. I had a similar internal struggle although less pronounced this time.

I did try to get a look at the dog's tags at least twice, the only two times it was really close enough, and asked a few people if they knew the dog so I could run by it's house. Alas, all attempts to find out where the dog belonged failed. I had a plan for if it followed me all the way to my house. You see I had my car key with me (because it's on the same ring as my house keys) so I was going to get the rope out of my trunk and tie the dog to a tree or something. If it wouldn't come near me at least at home I could go get food and lure it near me that way. Then I'd call the dog owners. I really thought the dog was going to follow me home. It got distracted by a kid at the school bus stop and a rabbit.

I still felt bad for letting the dog follow me. Although this time I made a more conscious effort to get the dog to come near enough to get a look at the tags and so was reassured. I really felt bad for the dog's owners who were probably out looking for the thing. I was also slightly annoyed at said owners for not being more careful with their dog when obviously the dog will follow anyone and has gotten out without a leash before.

I'm having an easier time letting it go this time around. Hopefully the dog will get home safe and the owners will be able to keep it on a leash or tied in the yard from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment