6.12.20

Dec 6 - COVID Updates

I haven't really said anything about who has and has not gotten COVID in my life on here.  I'll try to be vague but precise here.

Self: so far so good.  Though there was definitely a moment I thought I had it.  For now, fingers crossed.

Minnesota peeps: I definitely know people who have tested positive and recovered.  (I walked with one of these people last week.  She was all "I knew you wouldn't be scared to walk with me.)  I know people who are still sick but expected to recover.  I don't "know" people who have died from COVID, except I do through friends up here.  

Family: One family member has tested positive and is isolating but currently has no symptoms.  None of us can believe this person has no symptoms yet, btw.  We are all just crossing our fingers so hard over here. 

Health care workers: Some family members and several friends also work in health care.  Isolation precautions in health care are, like, weird.  "Oh, you had a super low risk exposure in the community, no symptoms and a negative test within 14 days.  Get yourself to work." Because, if they didn't the hospitals and nursing homes would be closed.  Apparently in Minnesota the MN National Guard has already been assisting in some facilities.

Vaccine: I am told the first shipment of vaccines is like, imminent.  For my company, staff who have patient facing jobs get the vaccine first.  But, within that, I'm not sure who is prioritized.  Like, hopefully hospital workers are high on that list? 

I was thinking about the difference between rounds 1 and 2 of quarantine. 

COVID Snacks: So much talk in round 1; not so much in round 2.  Round 1 was like "I accidentally ate all my COVID snacks by day 3."  Second time around with this nonsense, it's like 'no, potato chips and cookies are not allowed in my house.'

Toilet paper: Yes in round 1; yes and why, wtf? in round 2   Same apparently goes for paper towels because no one uses rags anymore?  One of the bright spots of round 2 was when a dear friend (who is out of town for a long time) texts me and says "if you need toilet paper just let yourself into my house and take some; I have plenty".

Rice: Yes in round 1.  No one cares in round 2. Which is how I bought 25lbs of rice for $10.00 at Costco.  Now I see why they have all those big tupperware tubs at my Asian supermarket. 

Exercise: Yo, I was so much better in round 1.  Round 2 is like "how little can I get away with and keep my streak alive".  There's no such thing as weight lifting or anything.  It's been rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment