4.11.12

I fixed my bike! Great Success.

I'm willing to admit publicly that a bit of FAIL is actually responsible for the biking fiasco that was this weekend.  And it was my fail. 

First a little recap on my biking history:

Which brings me to yesterday.  I was trying to pump up the tires in my bike and I couldn't make the back tire take air.  This had actually happened a few weeks earlier and I ignored it then.  I thought I had more time to fix it, but nothing I did worked.  The front tire was fine, the back tire just wouldn't take air. WTF?  I wanted a bike ride so bad that I actually dug out my old mountain bike.  I rode that around for a while until I found construction and cut my ride short.  Actually, I was all "this bike might not be so bad in the winter if I made the seat a little higher; these tires are nice and fat and handle all kinds of road surfaces".  Mostly I was all still! Construction on the Greenway?!?
 
Today I decided to apply my considerable problem solving skills to the issue.  It was either that or take it to the bike shop.  I like the bike shop, it's just too much effort to take the bike on the bus and then transfer to the other bus, and then if they had to keep it...  Instead, I got my bike out and started paying attention to it.  Later I did internet research to confirm my "I can't believe I missed that" issue. Turns out the type of valve I have (yes, a Presta) has to be opened or closed before pumping air into the tires.  Yes, folks.  I really didn't know that before today. 

I pumped up my back tire, put the mountain bike back in the closet behind the regular bike and am making plans for a nice long ride tomorrow.  You know I was super proud of myself for figuring this out right?

No comments:

Post a Comment