27.6.12

It will be good for me to be bad at something for a while

Item 1 - life is rough.  I'm at that stage where I could best be described as a sleeping monster.  Seriously.  I am like a bear.  I only want to sleep.  Which culminated in a dream this morning about me kicking out a chipmunk from a double paned window (it was time for it to go) and then discovering I'd also upset an animal that can best be described as part baby tiger and part hamster.  The little animal was panicking and crying and then I started crying when I realized it didn't have any teeth and no mom to give it milk.  I was planning on how to give it milk through an eye dropper when I woke up.  Thank goodness too.  That wasn't a good dream.

Item 2 - don't poop your pants is a phrase most runners know.  I entertained the Bolder Options training group last night with my use of that information. 

Item 3 - It's hot.  It's 9pm and still 90*.  I was thinking about a run tomorrow morning but may decide against it.

Item 4 - it will be good to be bad at something for a while.  I just started to share my time between my current job and another department at work.  In the new department I am brand new and in that stage where you have to completely learn everything again.   It's hard right now and perhaps contributing to the sleepiness.  Ultimately it will be good for me.

Item 5 - I'm dating a new bike.

I asked the Bolder crew if they knew anyone with an extra road bike.  While a mountain bike is better than nothing, it can be pretty rough slow.  My mountain bike is slow.  I took the new bike out on a long first date around the lakes (way too crowded) and headed home on the Greenway and Bikeways.




How fast was I going?  A billion times faster than on my mountain bike.  For reference, see how slow I was here
Things I liked about this bike:
  • The gear shifting situation is much better than my bike.
  • It's faster than my bike.
  • It weighs less than my bike.
  • It's meant to be on the road but not freaked out by the total crap pavement situation we have going on in some places up here.  40th street between Lyndale and 35W, I'm looking at you.

Things I didn't like about this bike:
  • Clips on the pedals.  Is this sacrilege or something?  I'm not a fan of the clips.  When I'm in them they make my toes numb and I'm worried I won't be able to get my foot out of them.  When I'm not in them, they hit the ground when I'm turning.
  • Honestly not sure if the frame is the right size.  My back and shoulders were killing me on the ride.  It could just be that I'm out of practice.
  • Also in the minus column is the speed because now I have to work harder to stop.  So afraid of flying over the handlebars...

 I'm going to date this bike for as long as I'm allowed.  It is fun to have a bike I feel good about and will look forward to riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment