28.5.12

Happy Memorial Day

First off, go ahead and make a donation to support my fundraising goal for Bolder Options.  I appreciate your support.

Stage 1: Defeat
Around 6am, I did wake up.  I'd been *dreaming* of a long run, mostly because I knew it wasn't going to happen.  Once a month I become a sleeping monster and am unable to get out of bed for any reason.  When I look at elite athletes, I assume they have better hormones than me and don't have this issue.  Jealous.
 

Stage 2: Hope 
As I sat on the couch, I kept thinking that even though it was really too hot to run, a bike ride would be fun.  I knew my tires would be flat so I pulled the bike out of storage and finally learned how to use the bike pump.  There's a little lever that locks the pump onto the valve stem.  Turns out I'd been flicking that lever the wrong way.  For like five years.  (Hard to believe Dad is an engineer right?) 
 

Stage 3: You did what?  So I went out for a bike ride.  Those of you from the Twin Cities know that Minneapolis rocks it as far as bike friendliness.  Those of you not from here may have heard tell.  It's true.  I did this fifteen mile ride all on bike boulevards and bike trails.  Side note here to the Gmap-pedometer team the "automatically (for cyclists)" option has some serious flaws.

First thing I learned - it's true what they say about mountain bikes.  I got this bike when I was like 12 so I won't be too fussy.  I'm seriously considering saving up for a road bike though.

Second thing I learned - this phone is not meant to take 1-handed pictures.  This is what hard work looks like.  My phone was all sweaty when I pulled it out.  Oops. 

It was a gorgeous day around the lakes and everyone was out to enjoy it.


Stage four: BRICK
I didn't do a true brick workout, but I did take a walk after the bike ride.  I can't imagine trying to run after that. 
Here's the other thing about this time - moving makes me hurt less and it makes the pain medicine work better.  So once I find the energy, the most important thing is to keep going.  Again, I imagine elite athletes just don't have this issue.  It's one of the reasons I dream of being one someday. 








I always know I'm almost home when I see the speed bumps sign.  Someone actually said to me the other day, "oh yeah, you live on the street with those speed bumps".  They're wild because they're huge.  It's a special kind of speed bump that doesn't hurt the snow plows.

Stage 5: Rest
When I got home, I threw in a load of laundry and sat around for a while.  Thank goodness for chocolate ice cream.  Stoneyfield Farms: you rock it!
 

Stage 6: Grill out for Memorial Day! 
I did do a grill out.  And by that I mean, my neighbor fired up his grill and allowed me to add my steak into the mix.  I don't think he believed me when I said I like my steak rare.  True story.
There were five of us all together.  It was a fun crew and we had some hilarious discussions.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds living in an 144 unit complex such a fascinating experience.


Stage 7: What happens tomorrow?
Apparently, I have to go to work tomorrow?  What is this work that you describe?  I haven't been there in so long.
The "computers" are being worked on tomorrow so we can't "use" them until 11am.  When pressed, the office manager said I didn't need to have my laptop in the office for this work so I heard: "you should stay out of the office until 11am" which means I'll be working from home.
At least it's not a full moon (that's a half moon but you may need to zoom in to see it)

No comments:

Post a Comment