25.7.11

Running Monday and wearing big girl pants!

After an entire week of not running outside (no, seriously, did you read about the record breaking heat?), I thought it had finally cooled off enough to go for a run this morning.  I set my alarm clock for 5am (because it hadn't cooled off *that much*) and went to bed.

My alarm clock woke me at 6:45am, the time it thought I wanted.  But I wasn't in any pain when I woke up so I got dressed and went for a run.  The run was great until it got hot and I got dehydrated.  Lake Nokomis was fun to see again.  (Hey; I remember you.  It's been a while!)



Once I got home, I was pretty sick from, you know, lack of water and too much heat.  It took me a while to get ready for work.  Note to self - take hydration seriously.  A weekend off exercise is not a weekend off drinking water.

I went to work which was fine.

After work, it was time to put my big girl pants on and try a class at the gym.  I'd always thought taking some of the classes at the gym would be fun.  But I never wanted to walk in the first time and not know what the hell was going on.  (Seriously, I needed someone to walk me in the door, tell me where to stand and which mat to pick, and then I'd be fine.)  The big girl pants were just for getting in the door and they worked their magic.  The trick, apparently, is to find someone who looks grumpy and aggravated waiting to get into the classroom.  Then, just do what they do once inside.

After some of the reading I did while not working very hard this weekend, I decided it would be good to have a strengthening and/or stretching component to my marathon training.  Pilates seemed the most likely candidate to totally kick my ass so that's the one I picked.  My first class was tonight and I did fine.  Hilariously, once I'd walked in and copied what the meanest, grumpiest looking girl did with her mats and equipment, an old friend walked in.  (Sweet!  I get to see Cyndi now too.)  The class is at 7:30pm which is actually a good time.  It forces me to stay at work late (it's ok; long days are normal) and it's a nice way to end the day.

My abs can't decide if they love me or if they think I'm an idiot right now.  They definitely got a workout.  We'll see what they think next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment