30.10.07

I have been away for a while

I know I haven't written in a while. I can never seem to get motivated on the weekends. It must be all that relaxing. This weekend Amanda tried to make me work but I got out of it when my drill ran out of power and I didn't have the charger with me. I still keep forgetting to bring the charger to her house. That's not true. I keep forgetting to pack the charger. Once in my bag, it will be no problem to run it by her house. Woops.

I got a flu shot today and my arm feels like it got hit with a baseball bat. Although as shots go, those aren't that bad at all. I say this as someone who joined the peace corps and got several shots every week for quite a while. Also at work, my boss asked me why i odn't work with teens anymore. I described my ideal teen program which pairs teens and seniors and she was interested so I spent a little time developing that idea a little more. From the brain storm I learned:
  • It's really important to involve a diverse group of teens. Every once in a while, something will happen and it's like only for people who are this one faith. Like the contribution I have to make isn't at all valued because I don't share the faith tradition. And it feels really bad. So any youth program I'm involved in for sure needs to involve kids of many backgrounds.

  • Wouldn't bother me if all the seniors were from the faith tradition of my agency. No one knows why.

  • I have really high expectations of teens. Meaning I believe that teens can deliver a truly professional product. It took a long time for me to learn how to help teens deliver a high quality product, but once I gave them the right tools, the kids who worked for me could do anything.

  • Teens need to be paid. This has to be a job. No other way to have ridiculously high standards than by offering a monetary reward.

  • This is my baby. Meaning, I need to be in charge. Is that wrong?


Over the weekend, I saved some web pages to share with you as well.

1 comment:

  1. The answer to whether skin cancer runs in families is: kind of. It is not an inherited risk like breast cancer or prostate cancer, but you do inherit your skin type. You skin type makes all the difference in the world when you talk about risk factors for cancer. By having a parent with malignant melanoma my odds of getting it are 4 times greater than they are for someone with no history. But if I could say I'd NEVER had any sunburns, I'd have little to no risk factor. Too bad I can't say that...

    ReplyDelete