27.9.07

As seen on:

What'd I do today? Oh, you know, a little of this, a little of that. I did play around on the web for a while, and found some great things to entertain you!
1. Worst Case Scenario: Quick sand. You may be saying, "Lizzie, this is Minnesota. Quick sand is not a problem here." I agree. Just check out number 9. "Stick (optional)". Oh good, the lifesaving device is the only one that's optional.
2. Ten Cute (read: addictive) Flash Games. Caution, these all have sound. I'm still trying to work out some of them.
3. Grow Nano is one of the games I figured out. This one is the easiest. Website has sound.
4. Grow Ornament game is another one (also with sound) this one has six tiles. I totally haven't figured it out yet. I don't even have a system to figure it out.
5. When I saw the headline, "Condoms infected with HIV" I knew this story was about something going on in Africa. I hadn't heard this was a problem in Mozambique (even though I've technically been there) but I knew about South Africa.
Through travel and living in Africa, I've learned about two of the reasons for the spread of HIV addressed in this article.
One:People don't understand how disease spreads. Not just HIV, any disease. In Malawi, anytime anyone got sick with any symptoms, we would say, "oh he has a little Malaria" because that's the only sickness people know. That works because just about any sickness you have could be a symptom of Malaria. But it's more than that. I used powder to keep ants out of the house. The insecticide was a banned substance in the US. There they called it "ant medicine". My language instructor, a college educated woman five times as smart as I am, asked me why I only used it in my bedroom. I explained that children came into our house and the ant powder would make them sick. Notice how they called it "ant medicine" and not "poison". Even highly educated people don't always understand what they're dealing with.
Two: A very conservative culture. The church doesn't even need to tell people not to use condoms. People don't use them anyways. It's part of the culture. Culture (with or without the church) says you can only have sex when you are married, and if you are married you can only have sex with your spouse. I won't even get started on the bit about women not asking if their husbands have had an affair, especially while traveling for work which is common.
Ouch: I have a greasemonkey extension that suggests tags when I save pages to del.icio.us. The only suggestion when I tried to save this article? Atheism. That's not even what this is about.
6. Alzheimer's is a form of diabetes?. That's news.
7. Nike made a shoe specifically for Native Americans. I had a moment where I thought about some kid in a south east Asian factory wondering why he's putting feather designs on shoes, and then I turned it off.
8. Good vs. Evil in pictures. I love that Macs are Firefox are in the good column. Also love that Fox News is in the bad column. That's not necessarily a political stance, it's more to do with the fact that any time a republican politician winds up in a scandal, Fox News reports the politician's political affiliation as a democrat. That's just unnecessary.
9. Best picture ever. (Safe for work.)
10. 10 Negotiable ways to a fatter wallet. One of them is animal adoptions. If cost is an issue, isn't it just cheaper not to bring additional animals in the home?
11. Coin stacking is really cool. I did that with the kids at the museum before. It's hard enough that even for teenagers, it's an engaging challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment