26.12.06

Things I'd like to do to my computer

Authors note: this will be an extremely boring post. Don't feel compelled to read it.

Things I'd like to do to my computer:
I'm coming to grips with the fact that I'm going to have to do a system restore to the poor Toshiba and loose my current settings. I know, it is sad. However, it's given me some time to think about the way I want to set up my comptuer this time around.

1. Parition the hard drive properly. I don't think I can do this on my own. I will buy a friend Chipotle and have her hlep me. Here's what I know so far about paritioning hard drives:
Best Practices for Partitioning a Hard Disk and the the Wiki on the subject.

2. Change the file format on windows media player. My PDA plays music but only in mp3. The defaul is for the media player to rip disks into .wma files, but all that can be chaged. Right now I had to get freeware to convert all my .wma files into mp3. That was just silly.

3. Also to do with music, change the destination file to something like "my music\music ripped from cds" so I know when I bakcup my music, which I acutally do from time to time I know not to back those things up.

4. Find a better way to store photos. I'm seriously thinking about Picasa. It's gotten good reviews and allows photo tagging. Anyone else know of another freeware program that allows tagging?
In an unrelated question, anyone know how in iPhoto (on a Mac) to not make every photo on my computer load every single time I open iPhoto?


5. Find a better way to store music. I'd like a program that allows tagging of music as well. I was poking around the internet last night and found a few. Media Monkey looked really good. Nothing ever gets five stars from CNet. There were actually a couple other freeware media players that also got five stars. This one looked the best because it said it can rip DVDs.

6. Find a better way to back up files. The biggest reason I was a slacker about backing up files is because I could never remember which ones were already on a disk somewhere. My computer is a "slow burning computer" and I get impatient. Big surpise there. I think in every thing, like my school folder, music folder, photo folder, I need to have a subfolder of stuff that's already backed up somewhere.

7. Find a better way to track my bookmarks. I love Del.icio.us for storing tons of bookmarks in a way I wont loose, but I really love having them integrated into the browser so I can click on "open all in tabs" and go through my morning or evening routine of checking blogs. I also have to have some integrated into the browser for proper RSS feeds.

I wish I could customize my view of del.icio.us a little more than seems possible. I can't figure out how to go back and edit tags of something I bookmared, especially when the tags are spelled wrong, and I wish I had different options for how to organize the view of my bookmarks.

8. Actually back data up to disk more often than I do now.

9. What are things you wish you had done to your computer when you got it? Apparently I have a second chance (really it's like the 4th time I've had to restore it).

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:01 PM

    you can't partition your hard drive unless:

    1. you reformat and partition it then.
    2. you left unpartitioned space when you last formatted.
    3. you have partitioning software. tis not expensive, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindee,

    If that's you I was going to offer you Chipotle in exchange for partitioning my hard drive. I think I have to erase everything and use the system restore disk on the computer anyways. Seems like a good time to partition the thing too.

    Hope all is well in Texas or wherever you are,
    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:12 PM

    well of course it was me, silly. i can help you with my computer, but you can eat the chipotle yourself. i dont really like it :P

    ReplyDelete