29.9.06

Why yes, yes I did

I have no idea why I'm using that as the title. It seemed like the thing to do at the time.

I ran this morning and then I drove to school. I know, I was sad not to take the bus.

Among the "things I know that you don't" was that a professor suggested I apply for a research assistant position at school and I had a job interview for that today. It was a very long interview. I thought it went well. (I had to drive so I could have a change of clothes without having to carry an extra bag all day and arouse suspicion. Suspicion of what, I don't know.)

I'd like to spend a moment talking about television shows. I used part of this afternoon to catch up on several of them.

Heroes
NBC, Monday at 9/8c. Yes, that's right. I live in the central time zone.

This show is slightly science fiction, but has enough character relationships that I'm interested for now. Ok, this show is totally science fiction but it's on NBC and not some small cable network so that confuses me. How did I find this show? It's on right before...

Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip
NBC, Monday 10/9c

Aaron Sorkin. Matthew Perry. Bradley Whitford. 'Nuff Said.

Ugly Betty
ABC, Thursday at 8/7c

Stars the girl who played Carmen in "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants". It seems like a mix of "Two Weeks Notice" and "The Devils Wears Prada" with some cloak and dagger things happening. I'm not so much of a fan, but I may give it one more try.

Grey's Anatomy
ABC, Thursday 9/8c

It's one of those shows that parades around as doctors sleeping with each other but underneath the facade, it has heart. I particularly enjoyed the plot line tonight with the doctor (yeah, ask me his name) and his parents visiting and the mother scaring the crap out of the girlfriend (who is also a doctor). Very nice moment at the end of that.

ER
NBC, Thursday, 10/9c

I have no idea why I watch this show. At this point I only care about two of the characters. John Wells is giving ER a slow death. At some point the cars flipping over, buildings collapsing, helicopters falling from the roof, tanks in the street, crazed gunmen in the building and explosions become routine and annoying. Could you not find a more creative, classier, slightly more believable way to have a character leave the show than dropping a helicopter on them? There are many more guns and explosions on this show than he could plausibly fit into the plot of The West Wing. (Although he tried, even on that show.)

Men in Trees
ABC, Friday 9/8c

Yes, that's right. I'm watching television alone on a Friday night. However, this show gets the award for "show that I've never heard of but I like". I've only seen one episode but I enjoyed it. It's a show about the relationships between all of these people in a dinky little town in Alaska.

But there are also park rangers and lumber jacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment