11.5.18

TC One Mile - Race Volunteer Report

One of my 2018 goals is to volunteer in at least one race.  I'd always wanted to check out the TC One Mile.  I've never run it because I've been intimidated by the logistics.  (I'm not even going to lie. It looked complicated.  It's not.)  I decided to Course Marshall this thing so I could see the logistics in all of their glory.

Start time: I was expected to be there by 5:30pm.  Races started at 6:30pm.  Last race started at 8:01pm and ended roughly 4 minutes afterwards.

Weather: 60 or so and kind of windy. Somewhat cloudy.  I'm not gonna lie.  I was cold.

Wardrobe: I wore pants and a light jacket and I should've dressed significantly warmer under the wind proof jacket.  I was freezing my ass off by the end of this thing.

Transportation: I had a free bus pass, so took the 14 to the race.  Afterwards, the connections with the 14 were ridiculous (here, wait 20 minutes in your too cold clothes) so I got a Lyft.  My driver and I talked about all the construction in South Minneapolis.
Route: I was on 13th Ave S at a U of M parking garage near the bike path.  The cops had to deal with the bike path. Cyclists stopped and asked what was going on, and were generally pleasant.  The cars I had to deal with were also very nice and just wanted to not hit people.

Bonus: Totally nabbed a picture of Steve in a Speedo as well. How could I miss him in those shorts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment