27.8.13

Minneapolis: The Water City is Hotter than Fire

True story: Minneapolis is hotter than blue blazes right now. At 11pm, it's still 88*.  My air conditioner is getting a workout!


Since things are so ridiculous outside, I headed inside this afternoon for a track workout.  Point of interest: the A/C seemed to be working on the track but not inside the gym.  So full of suck.  Usually when I do track workouts, I try to keep walking in between sets, instead of stopping completely.  It's a little easier for me to manage, and also logistically a bit easier on a busy track.

Workout for the day:
  • 1 mile warm-up
  • 2 laps running, 1/2 lap walking, goal pace of 9:00/mile
  • Repeat running/walking intervals for a total of seven sets
  • Cool down
  • Stretch

Mission accomplished for all except set 5 which was a bit off the pace. At first I thought 9:00/mile pace was too easy, but by the end I wanted to pass out.  That generally means I picked right.  This workout sort of simulates a 500M-600M sprint, with a 150M recovery interval.  I ran the first 'sprint laps' with a friend who is super fast.  And number five is the one that looks slower than all the others. Perhaps I did a little too much work on set 4?


The rest of the week will likely feature some more indoor workouts, and possibly evaluating the wisdom of a long outdoor run.  I will try to look back at some of last year's long run posts because I feel like several of those were done in super hot conditions.  Maybe that will provide some inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment