17.9.11

Bolder Dash 10K

The Bolder Dash is one of my favorite races (and benefits one of my favorite organizations).  It was my first 10K race ever a few years ago.  Not long after that race, I started training for my first marathon.  (What was I thinking?)  In 2009 I ran the 10K again and then walked the 5K with my dad.  (Our first race together.)  This year, one of the Team:Work people and her husband came out to participate.

The race is at my happy place.  I have a whole new respect for track runners who run laps and laps and laps around an oval.  This course is two laps around the lake.  The hardest part of this race is thinking, "oh, shit, I have to run around this thing again".  It makes pacing quite challenging.  (I did not use my phone/GPS during the run for pacing assistance because that would be cheating.)

We got on our numbers and headed over to the start line.  I saw a bunch of people I knew which was also fun.

I tried oatmeal today as a pre-race breakfast.  I think, ultimately, oatmeal would be a great pre-race food but I should've had it about two hours before the race instead of one hour before the starting line.

The race was an adventure in pacing.  I set a new PR.  My time was 1:06:00 (impressive right, to hit 00 seconds?) which is a 10:38 pace.  I couldn't find my time for 2009 but I think it was an 11:00 pace.  I knew I was ahead of life this year when I went by the 5K start and people weren't lining up yet.

After I got done I hit up the coffee and had an apple.  It was cold.  I watched all the mentor/mentee pairs start the race (which is always a blast) and cheered for them.  Then the two of us who'd finished walked back along the course to find the last member of Team:Work who is a race walker.
She killed her PR by 4:00 and placed second in her age group.  Heck yes you are!

After the race I did laundry, cleaned and then went to lunch with neighbor Steve and had awesome Thai Food.  Now I'm sitting on my couch with a basically clean house listening to the dishwasher run.

No comments:

Post a Comment